1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Guys - Told Today It's Tri-Level Classes In August!

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by gnulinux, Apr 27, 2012.

1. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

System implosion imminent I think! Russell & co have had 8 years to tell us what CfE is all about and they still have not managed to do that. If a teacher had a class for 8 years and had not managed to teach them anything over that period they would no doubt be sacked. The fact the Leadership Class in Scottish Education is prepared to engage in serious brinkmanship with teachers over CfE should be of very great concern to parents. Above all it indicates a very serious flaw at the heart of the Scottish Education System, i.e. who runs it. Scottish Education should fundamentally be run by TEACHERS, and not ignorant Politicians, self-seeking Directors of Education, bullying Inspectors and the like. They are the NUMPTIES that have got us to the point of potential meltdown.

2. There has always been an N3-N5 Level composite class system in place in my subject but it has not been formalised as being so. There were a group of 8 S1 in my class this year that are N5 capable. Another 8 were national 4 capable and another 5 were definitely N3. When I say N5 capable, they were doing Int 2 level performing work in Music. The N4 capable kids were doing Int 1 level work and the N3 kids were doing Acess 3 level work on their musical instruments.
    We are not getting resources. It's too late now for that. All year my colleagues and I have organised ourselves with resources that will fulfil the Es and Os and give a more individualised and personalised way of learning. The whole point of CFE is that it gives teachers more scope when planning experiences.
    While it is a pain in the **** having to get organised with resources and changing the leopard's spots, once its done its done.

3. Well said Embaduck.
    This isn't really much of a change and my department has actually spent a lot of development time over the past session getting to grips with the Es and Os... consequently, we're ready to go. It's not ideal but it's happening.
    I suppose we could have stuck our heads in the sand and shouted 'We're doomed' (although it would be muffled by the sand admittedly...)

4. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

You are very lucky if you teach a subject that has not had to change much! You are also very lucky if you have been given development time! We are not 'ready to go' but going we are, whether we like it or not. Looking forward to a year of hanging on in there for the ride.