1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hey Greta

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Ever heard the saying "discretion is the better part of valour"?
    You could just have turned up to Bristol incognito, said your stuff and gone home. But no. You had to advertise your sainted presence and now Bristol is on working-normal-person shutdown while you get the crowds.
    Is this really supposed to persuade people who don't already agree with your position (you know, workers, people who only get to see their kids at weekends etc) to join in? Half of them will leave the heating on just to spite the likes of.
    Try THINKING IT THROUGH. You know, like you'd expect others to.

BW12345, towncryer, Alice K and 4 others like this.
  2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

"All that lovely crowd to spread through" whispered Corona.

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Yes, it’s not really the best time to organise non-essential mass gatherings is it.

Supt Andy Bennett said the force was "unable to accurately predict how large this event will be".

" Social media has gone viral with interest which leads me to believe it will be thousands of people," he wrote.

"We have confirmation of people travelling from across the UK by car, bus, coach and train.

"I am told in Hamburg approximately 60,000 came to see Greta speak. Whilst I am not suggesting it will be this big, you can see the scale of the potential attendance."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-bristol-51649275

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The Swedish climate change pain in the **** campaigner tweeted over the weekend that she would be taking part in the city's youth protest.

Why does she not go back home and get interested in shoes and handbags, like any sensible girl of her age?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    lexus300, Kandahar and install like this.
  5. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

Not even attempting to hide the sexism and superiority complex are you?

6. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

7. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

8. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Mr Nomad is what one might call a real man.
    1970s-mens-hair.jpg

9. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

Interesting. The town I live in has been effectively shut for the past week. Of course it is impossible to say conclusively if the flooding is due to climate change, but it may well be. Are the people you talk about in Bristol really that selfish?

lanokia and magic surf bus like this.
  10. Ellakits

Ellakits Senior commenter

I am very interested to know where all the money is coming from. Not Greta’s own money, I’m sure she’s still supported by her parents who are certainly comfortably off.

But the money to sustain things such as Extinction Rebellion. Environmentalism has traditionally been rather poorly funded. Businesses have paid little more than lip service to it, taking fines, fees and remediation measures as part of their operating costs. It can’t all be crowd funded and rely on £10 donations from the public here and there.

Apparently Extinction Rebellion pay their main activists up to £400pw as mentioned on their website.

Greta’s rallies need organising and publicising, not all of which can be done for free on social media.

I’m not suggesting a global conspiracy theory, personally I think that’s ridiculous.

But I do wonder where all the funding comes from, and what’s changed to suddenly make it a cause people and organisations will now happily pour money into?

Big businesses still pollute and cover this up with impunity, their first duty is to maximise share prices for their shareholders, so I doubt very much it’s due to a sudden ethical revelation.

11. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

No, but it is possible to conclusively say that it is little or nothing to do with climate change - but a myriad of contributory factors: urban expansion, paving of gardens to accomodate 4X4s, continued buidling on flood plains, and let's not forget; the weather.

towncryer, lexus300 and Pageant like this.
  12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Personally.............whilst I admire her initial stance and actions..........I fear she is being used as a pawn for others.
    This dilutes and trivialises the message and does no one, least of all Greta, any good.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If you wish to see it that way.

I was making reference to her ill-advised rant "You have stolen by childhood! How dare you!"

She has denied herself a childhood and is continuing to do so. It would be nice if her parents could convince her, for a few years at least, to do teenage things before those years are lost forever.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

15. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I know - you have weathered a little since the early 70s.

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The amount of triggering this young girl does is incredible.

Grown adults who should be demanding change themselves get all wound up by a young Swedish girl who understands the science ten times better than do, knows what needs to be done, says exactly what needs to be done, and walks the talk herself.

I expect she makes them realise how utterly useless they have been in avoiding taking action on climate or even willfully misunderstanding the science.

She may well go down as one of the most important people of the last 100 years or more, if we get through what's coming.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This is something that does interest me...
    According to this [other sources may be available] there doesn't appear to be a pattern of increase in average UK precipitation...
    [​IMG]
    Though obvious 2020 might be an exception. And obviously if I could find the rainfall record going back over a century it might be that there is a pattern.

But I just bear in mind that every year there are reports of flooding.

BetterNow likes this.
  18. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

[​IMG]

That's because every year we have flooding.

However - as population increases, more houses are built, more land is concreted over - there is less room for natural filtration of water. Nothing to do with magic CC.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've heard Alt-Right people using that word... oh dear...

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Unlike clownworld and those odd websites you frequent, triggering is a word in general usage now. It also does not have racist or antsemitic usage but clownworld does.

monicabilongame likes this.