1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hey chumly, you missed a few

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mollymillions, Mar 19, 2012.

1. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

Do you think you could spam the forum any harder chumly?

2. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

Do you think you could spam the forum any harder chumly?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

But I thought you weren't supposed to use the forum to promote items like this?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you think that my review is actually a<u> promotion</u> of the book . . . .
    Best wishes
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. I would imagine that stoppers was referring to chumly.

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

I, on the other hand, thought he was referring to TheoGriff, and having been away from this playground for a few days, caught up with Theo's review of what he was able to read. A superb hatchet job, Griff old boy.
    Addicted to bad writing as well as good, and to the hilarious conceit and folly of those who lack any sort of ironic perspective on themselves, the Malvolios and Widmerpools of the world, I just know I'm going to end up buying this book.
    During two and a half hours strapped into seat 27D on AirRuritania last Saturday I enjoyed another negative masterpiece, 'How not to be a Professional Footballer' by the egregious Paul Merson.
    Merson, however, is a very different animal from the author under review here. He is entirely, gloriously unschooled and would not know the difference between Russell Group and Russet Poop. Far from being unaware that he is a waanker, he reminds us of the fact every four or five pages.

8. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Following Theo's wonderful promotion of the book I am tempted to buy the free version (or 10% thereof).. Was this possibly written by Oldgit61?
    Upon retirement I may well feel the urge to follow in Chumley's footsteps with a full expose on the dirty dealings and exploitative exploits horrid heads have to do to survive in the murkier elements of the international scene. [​IMG]

9. No it bally well wasn't! My published works have been commended by some of the best academic writers around!
    When I do my hatchet job, testicles will roll.

10. I bought the book last night. I'm half way through.
    It's not terrible but does seem to be losing it's way slightly in the mid section...could be just a blip though.
    Some rants...but funny.
    Gives the otherside of the "international dream" and some good pointers to be wary about when seeking international work.
    I don't feel I have wasted my time reading it.
    I have to say I laughed out loud at some of the characters mentioned...why does every school have these people?!?!

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I was referring. to Chumly

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

How cloth-eared of me.
    At least the error served to draw renewed attention to the clinical job done by Theo on the comically self-regarding text under review.

13. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Yes but I know what the poster meant by that. No matter what group you end up being with, there are always the same old characters there. The know it all who has an answer or comment for every single thing that is said, the comedian, the person who just has to be heard whether it is relevant to the discussion or not, the shy retiring type, the bitchy 'feel like I'm back in high school' types. the clearly nothing upstairs and the comb over.
    I had to include the comb over as my first one left an indelible stain on my memory. I went with my boss to a Science inservice in my first job. We were sitting behind this man whose hair looked very odd. I just couldn't work out what was happening and in the interest of Scientific theory I tried to work it out. There was a part running horizontally half way around the back of his head. My boss laughed at me and told me to look at it from the front in the next break and then it all became clear. He had grown his hair, parted it half way and cut the bottom half but the top half was combed forward and held down with industrial strength hair spray or super glue or something but that sucker wasn't going to move in a cyclone. An engineering marvel that I still revere today.