1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hey am new here now :)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by skills324, Jul 25, 2011.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Took a big risk, left my job of 6 years where i started as an nqt, didn't get another job so will be doing supply in september while i look for something permanent.
    However having read just a couple of forums on here it seems folk are struggling to find work.
    I want to do lots of supply to get more experience of a range of schools before i find the job thats for me.

Anyone got any thoughts, tips or advice?
    Think i will be doing sec aswell as primary :-

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Agree, you really are trying to enter a rapidly dying means of employment with little regular work.
    If you can get work it may provide a vast range of experience but may convince you you're the world's worst teacher as supplies are genereally not favourably looked on in schools by staff or students.
    Don't want to put too much of a damper on things as a few people do get regular work & I've just done 4 years working an average of 4- 5 days a month in the same school .School's now closed & I very much doubt if I'll get much next year until I've rebuilt some new contacts.

3. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Oh gosh,
    well thanks for your input anyway, lets hope i find some full time work soon.

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Indeed. The previous posters are telling you how it is. I did supply years ago and there was enough of it to get by on, once you got yourself established. Now it's different. Schools can't afford supply and don't want to employ anyone who has been out of a 'proper job' for more than a term or two, unless known to them. Get yourself back in as soon as you can.

5. tabath

tabath New commenter

Can confirm what the others have said from my own experience. I left to bring up my kids and for the first few years of supply I could work where and when I wanted, that stopped about 5 years ago and has got gradually worse to the point that if I had to support myself I would be signing on. I'm therefore now looking for a full time post but am at a disadvantage being top of the scale and out of full time for 11 years.

If I were you I would make every effort to go back full time as soon as you can.

6. The other thing to bear in mind is that supply pay is significantly lower then standard pay.
    You really should have looked into this more carefully.

7. Hi there,
    I recon you must be very close to the top of your scale, so if you are looking for another full time post I wouldn't hold your breath at the moment. There are far too many NQTs who are a lot cheaper than you.
    The idea that experience will make you more marketable is utter rubbish the SLT teams in schools are looking for cheap not experience. Last interview I went too, (4 weeks before the end of term), Hod and Head spent half the intro talking about excellence at GCSE level. My results in the last 3 years full time 100% A* to C, and I'm an examiner for the subject, the school 45% A* to C.
    They took on an NQT who hadn't taught any GCSE work worth talking about so no matter what HoDs or Heads tell you they are usually talking rubbish and take a good look at how many NQTs are there when you turn up. In a lot of cases though you make their equal opportunities form look good.
    I had to leave full time 2 years ago because of moving. If I had known what I know now I would have commuted every weekend instead.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For what it's worth I think it helps if you actually want to do supply, rather than just seeing it as a stop gap to pay the bills before you eventually find something better. I'm not going to get all pretentious about seeing it as a vocation or anything, but I've already met a recently-made-redundant-due-to-school-cost-cutting supply colleague and he did not look at all comfortable with the role. I suspect there'll be quite a few more in that position before too long.

What I'm trying to say in a rather clumsy sort of way is that your mindset matters. I went into supply because I knew my last permanent post was turning to utter ****. I enjoy supply far more - for me it's now the better option of the two so I tackle it in a positive manner. If it's always second best in your mind it will show in your dealings with both students and fellow staff.

The OP has entered a highly competitive free market - it's still possible to make some sort of living in it, but the opportunities are now far more limited.

9. Left my last post at Xmas...had enough...top of pay scale..but I've had plenty of supply work to keep me going..it's not too bad once you get used to it..

Good luck!

10. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Thanks again for your comments. As i said i'll keep you informed of how i get on. I have registered with 2 agencies and going to register with a third soon. Hopefully they'll get me some work on a day to day basis then i'm looking for a fixed term contract possibly then i hope to find a school where i can settle and establish myself as i have done at my last school.

I went for a full time position before the end of term, im not sure who got the job but looking back i think it may have been an nqt, i think its just luck on the day as you don't know what the school is looking for, they may want a cheap nqt or the opposite if they already have a ot of unexpereienced teachers.

Anyway only time will tell

11. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Got an interview on Thurs for a PPA cover job, for a term initially.
    Been onto various websites and a quick google search revealed a lot of temp work for supply. I don't want to speak too soon but it does seem there is supply work out there even thought i wouldn't want to do it for too long (no longer than 1 year).

12. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Good luck with your interview, but I wouldn't believe what your internet search has revealed about supply work and its availibilty.
    The truth is that no one will know for sure at the moment. Schools are on their break at the moment most (if not all) vacancies arising from the last term would have been sorted out by now and no one has had a chance yet to resign. Its just possible a teacher will know they will be absent due to personnel reasons and have informed their Head who has approached agencies for a replacement but I think thats not very common.
    The situation will become clearer a few weeks into the Autumn term but based on the amount of work from recent years I wouldn't expect anything until late September (academic for me as I'm not free in September anyway).
    Hopefully its academic for you too.

13. I wonder how 'real' are some of the jobs posted on teaching position digest sites, like Reed, Jobs in Education, etc. As I was a keen student of these sites on a daily basis, it soon became clear that some jobs always seemed to be there, and that you never heard any more about any applications you made for them. In addition, when you clicked on a job looking for more details, you would find that the vacancy had been on the site for months: there are still jobs on these sites looking for someone to start as soon after Easter as possible!
    After a few months, I gave up on these sites as, besides being cold-called by agencies, which were administering some vacancies (I wonder whether the vacancy was there as a trawl for the agency, anyway), I never heard anything more of any application I made!