1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Hey all

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Faldamir12, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    We have year 5/6 pupils coming into our catholic secondary school in 2 weeks time and I am leading one of the sessions ( 50 minutes) on RE. I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything that they might find engaging as I have no experience of working with children at ks2.
    I have several ideas but would always welcome new ones, most especially from primary teachers.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

2. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    We have year 5/6 pupils coming into our catholic secondary school in 2 weeks time and I am leading one of the sessions ( 50 minutes) on RE. I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything that they might find engaging as I have no experience of working with children at ks2.
    I have several ideas but would always welcome new ones, most especially from primary teachers.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

3. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I have mentioned my Religious Identity Passport workshop which I have used very successfully in this setting. Give me a PM if you would like to know more about this.

There are several good stories from Hinduism which you might use - see my resources Hinduism Workshop. You could combine this with a small Rangoli design that all the children contribute to. If you would like to do that send me a PM and I will explain how to make the coloured rice for it, if you've not done it before.

The story of the Angel and the Saint (see my resources Heaven and Hell) is also a good one for this kind of 'one off' event. You could get some good discussion in pairs or groups and feedback in the plenary perhaps.

The slide-show about 'What is Religion? is another possibility. I designed it originally for young children - KS1 and expanded it to engage with all ages. If you download it you can customise it to the time/ideas which you think would fit your time/class size best. Again it will stimulate some great discussion. You just keep stopping and asking them to discuss certain questions with those sitting nearby. Then they feedback to the whole group.

Good luck

4. Probably these pupils will either be being confirmed shortly, or will have been confirmed recently. Check.
    This would make a good introduction - what's different about primary and secondary, a confirmed Catholic and a non-confirmed Catholic, a big child and a little child?

5. How early do you confirm the kids in your area bgy1mm? That doesn't happen here till yr8 or 9!
    On our yr 6 RE day we make little people- the kids have a template of a person which they write in all the things they are good at and enjoying doing and then colour it in to match what they are wearing. They then pass it round the class and outside people write nice things about them like good runner etc and they get to take it home.
    They always talk about it when they come up the year after and we do it again in yr13 as a leaving present in General RE.