1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heuristic Paly

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by PINKY23, Feb 11, 2012.

1. I've been doing Heuristic Play, I am a childminder and have to fill in learning journeys for the mindees, can someone please tell me which areas of learning this will be under
    Threading beads in bottles, using corks, wooden pegs, wooden curtain rings etc
    Thanx PINKY23

2. I've been doing Heuristic Play, I am a childminder and have to fill in learning journeys for the mindees, can someone please tell me which areas of learning this will be under
    Threading beads in bottles, using corks, wooden pegs, wooden curtain rings etc
    Thanx PINKY23

3. Maths (PSRN) - if counting. Threading, pegs are Fine Motor skills- (Phys Ed), but if you are talking about what they are used for then they are KUW. What do you do with the curtain rings? Any sort of play comes under the Social/emotional/oral language area too. You need to work out what you are focusing on when you are doing 'heuristic play'. Otherwise I'd say incorporate most of the learning areas each time.

4. Thank you for your reply,
    The 3year old puts the curtain rings on the wooden spoon handle tips them off when he cannot put anymore on, put only counts to 3, the 18month likes putting the corks throught the wooden spoon hole and dropping them into the tin or the mixing bowl and mixing them, he likes to turn the tins over and bangs the wooden spoons on them and he puts them on his head. pegs and beads they like putting them in plastic bottles and shaking them to make a noise.

5. They sound like very normal children! Sadly we have to analyse and document their learning. Looks like you are very aware of your responsibilities. Good for you!

6. What lovely play! How sad to have to analyse it. In fact, every area of learning is represented, but far more interesting - the resourcefulness of children when allowed to play freely with open-ended resources, and the potential for discovery.