1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heterosexual couple refused right to civil partnership

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

A high court ruled today that a man and a woman could not enter into a civil partnership. The said couple say this discriminates against them because same sex couples are permitted to have civil partnerships. They say they don't want to get married and should be allowed to have a civil partnership.

It could be that I have got some of the terminology wrong because I am not au courant with all the up to the moment stuff. However, what I wonder is, why they are pursuing this. Why does it matter?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Either civil partnerships should be open to heterosexual couples or marriage should be the only way to 'tie the knot'.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Because marriage has 'baggage'.

Dowries. Arranged marriage. Best man. Giving away the bride. Blah blah blah.

Some people feel tainted by that background. They feel a CP doesn't have any of those issues. I could marry. I don't want to though. I'm happy with my CP. It seems 'cleaner' somehow.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So CPs should be available to the same groups as marriage?

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There was a poster here who used to argue in favour of civil partnership being available for all.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thanks for explaining that, gdw.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I agree.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Isn't marriage in a register office essentially a civil partnership?

monicabilongame and wanet like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

CP for all! Absolutely!

Marriage in a register office? You can say vows and plenty of religious stuff. We weren't allowed to for our CP. There are quite a few rules. Not that we wanted all that baloney anyway. CP suits me fine.

D'you want to do this? Yes. I do. Fine. Sign here.

But you can mention God in a marriage. Something like that.

CP for all! (If they want it.)

Burndenpark likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I wonder how many of those people who sign up for civil partnerships would also sign up for a civil funeral.

[​IMG]

wanet likes this.
  11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I wish someone would explain to me the difference between 'civil partnerships' and 'civil marriages'. Is the former just a version of the latter open to homosexual couples, or what?

wanet likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Not landfill; composting would be fine.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Vince_Ulam

Don't you like seagulls?

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I like them but landfill, I think, lacks the recycling pleasure. Compost me and spread on the flower bed and it could be said that I lay where I had fallen.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

In Scotland it is but apparently in England all marriages are backed by the CoE because it's the state religion.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Did you?

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You are not allowed to have religious stuff at a registry office wedding.

18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It's a ridiculous ruling even if it complies with the relevant law which is also ridiculous.
    I think it might even be discriminatory.

19. Vince_Ulam

Absolutely.

lanokia likes this.
  20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've always thought that civil partnerships had been introduced in the UK to allow same sex partners to be able to acquire the legal standing and rights that were denied to them as getting married was not an option opened to them.
    A man and a woman who lived together always had the option to legalise their situation by having a no fuss register wedding. No need to tell everyone and make a whole big deal out of it but the legal side sorted if the worst ever happened. This is exactly what I did when I married my first husband.

Now that getting married is an option for all couples, it would make perfect sense that the civil partnership should either be opened to all or stoped being an option.