1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heston and the fabulous Baker Boys

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by seagirl, Jan 12, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's not mine - it's my mother in law's. I asked her to drop it down here for the weekend whilst they're all up there (she drove D & M up you see - driving M long distances on your own is impossible; she doesn't sleep at all in the car and whinges if she's bored!).
    So - first time I've used one. I have to say, I was impressed by what it did to the tomatoes. Really cooked quickly and with such intense flavours. I'm also impressed by the fact that it cooked kidney beans in 20 minutes. I'm tempted to invest on this basis alone.

2. Aren't they supposed to be good for making things like stock from bones, carcasses etc? I don't think they cost that much, and I'm sure I've seen them used by chefs on TV recently.
    I feel a look at Amazon coming....

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just don't let anyone touch it and use in a well ventilated room.
    It is expensive and doesn't keep.
    If you make loads of ice cream with it and store in the freezer, it will harden and you'll lost hte qualities that make it a lovely ice cream.
    That H's children did it at summer school would seem logical, as you can cater for large quantities, but I'd be hard pushed to justify it myself other than having a bit of fun myself!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Cheers Belle.
    I've found an online supplier whose prices seem reasonable. Just got to call them to clarify quantities, then a quick call to CLEAPSS for risk assessment advice. Then just got to persuade the head!

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Re pressure cookers. My parents have one that they got when they were married (40 years ago!) and use it regularly for soups and stocks mostly, but dad does his vindaloo in it, and mum sometimes does beef in red wine in it. I'm scared of it to be honest- the thought of it exploding means I stay well away from it and couldn't contemplate buying one myself.

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think the modern ones are quite safe, Si! Old ones were renowned for exploding but there are safety devices that prevents this now.
    I'd be edgy about using a 40 year old one!

7. I've started looking into pressure cookers and many of the user reviews are very positive. Delicious Magazine have a review too and list some recipes one of which looks particularly good.
    I'm very tempted to get one, a pressure cooker and my slow cooker may make my life easier come September when I start my PGCE.

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

To be fair, my parents' one has never exploded, but the hissing sound gives me the fear! My rational mind tells me that a modern one would be perfectly safe, but...nope...I still have the fear!

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sounds like a good idea to me. Although I found I made my life easier when doing my PGCE by only eating when I remembered to!

10. I like your thinking, that would definitely work if I only had me to think of! Mr J and the growing, always seem to be hungry, girls might be complaining!

11. BelleDuJour

Can I ask where you've found it and what price nick?
    Can't help but think maybe this is more for you than the kids? [​IMG]
    *snigger*

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Here:
    http://www.green-gases.com/leisure.htm
    Just got to call re quantites. It suggests a small quanitity for £29. I'd have thought it enough to make ice cream for a class of 30 - in small groups of 3 or 4, each making their own. Plus a little bit leftover to have some fun with!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. BelleDuJour

Just be very careful they don't touch the stuff.
    I wouldn't expect anything less! [​IMG]

14. smell = lost flavour! what a culinary quote!

15. BelleDuJour

Will for sure try his method for making stock usingmilk powder. As a biochemist i know all abour the maillard reaction and am wondering why I didn't think of this myself!
    Also his way of roasting chicken looks delicious. I already have the thermometer......had it before Heston too!

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've tried it. It's superb. I wondered if 60C was too cold for the meat to be cooked, as have always gone to 70 before, but 60 is perfect, providing you don't mind a hint of pink in the leg meat - which I don't.
    I've been using a meat thermometer to cook joints of meat for a few years now - best results, without a doubt.
    One thing I do need to buy is an oven thermometer. Our oven is hotter than the dial would indicate - I know this because a largeish chicken was cooked after 3 hours at "90C". It's a decent oven too - Bosch - and is only a few years old.

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I have used an oven and a meat thermometer, also have a BBQ fork with built in thermometer and just got a thermometer probe from ebay-use them a lot in schools.

18. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I saw last nights episode and thought he had some good ideas - I really want to try his alternative cheese sauce and then make the macaroni cheese with it even though I do consider mine unbeatable - even Mr EG says he doesn't think it could be bettered. We'll see...
    I don't think I'll be trying his cheese on toast sundae too soon! I have recorded the other programmes as well and will have to make time to watch them. Not enough hours in the day...

19. I liked the tips last night too. Cheese sauce will never be the same Chez RedFlannel!