1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Heston and the fabulous Baker Boys

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by seagirl, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I hour of fabulous TV on a Wednesday evening - what do others think?

2. I hour of fabulous TV on a Wednesday evening - what do others think?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Saw Heston and he was fabulous, altohugh I doubt I'm going to spend 15 mintues over a bain marie to scramble eggs!

4. bizent

bizent Star commenter

There's something quite endearing about The Fabulous Baker Boys - I think it's because I like what they make (BREAD!!!) although I did baulk a little at the fish curry [​IMG]

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I didn't see either last night but have recorded Heston. I saw last week's and it was ace. I've got his Heston at Home book and it's brilliant. I've cooked a few things from there (pea and ham soup, butternut squash soup, a poached mackerel thing in 'umami broth' and his beef tagliata) and they've all been unbelievably good - the more every-day dishes being better than you'd ever think possible.
    Despite all the silliness associated with Heston with regards to his more controversial dishes (snail porridge, bacon & egg ice cream etc.), most of his food is really all about getting the very best out of indredients by knowing the science behind cooking them well. Far from being a cold, clinical exercise in 'molecular gastronomy' (I hate that phrase), it's all about really making the food sing and taste as wonderful as possible. A true love of food.
    The recipes are time-consuming, but not ridiculously so. They don't all involve expensive scientific equipment, either, with an accurate thermometer being the most useful piece of kit (although I'll be giving the sous-vide chaper a wide berth for a while at least!).
    I'm trying his chilli on the weekend. Will report back.
    Massive Heston fan, me. Would still love to visit The Fat Duck.

6. Yes me too, I had been previously put off by his reputation, but his tips are amazing - as for the Baker Brothers I am hooked - their no nonsense approach ( a bit like Jamie) is infectious. Must go.. off to buy a thermometer!

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Fascinating stuff. I have to say I already do spend about 15 minutes making scrambled eggs. Not in a bain marie, admittedly, just in a pan over a flame, but without beating first, removing from the heat frequently, and only seasoning at the end. A Gordon Ramsay technique that always produces the softest, silkiest eggs. We only ever have scrambled eggs on Sundays, so I don't mind spending 15 minutes on them!
    Another thing I do is to add a little full fat milk once the eggs are nearly cooked. As this stops the cooking, it means the eggs can sit for a while without becoming overcooked while toast is done/coffee is poured, etc. Then the eggs are finished once everyone is at the table!

Some good tips though. The upside down plate in the pan for poached eggs is so obvious - why didn't I think of that?!!

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Or me! Fantastic tip.

9. That is such a good idea! I scramble eggs very slowly and gently on the lowest heat so they are just cooked. We have delicious organic eggs delivered with our veg box so they have to be treated lovingly.
    If you have a link for Heston's chilli, or could put the recipe on here that would be great....presuming it tastes good! Thanks, nick.

10. I rarely watch a cookery programme where I know that I will be attempting every single recipe demonstrated: well, apart from the bacon-and-egg-ice-cream (because I am Muslim), I will be having a go at all of the Heston recipes from his egg episode. Fantastic tips and ideas. I'm getting my Halal sausages tomorrow!

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Here's a link, Suze. I'd posted it but the weird TES formatting thing would probably compress it all into one word or something, and it's quite a long recipe! I'm not bothering with the cornbread muffins as I'm just eating myself tonight (with wife and daughter away up north), the remainder of the chilli being for when everyone's back oin Tuesday, by which time the muffins would be stale.
    Note - you need a pressure cooker and you need to start the day before, to brine the beans!
    http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/heston-blumenthal/chilli-con-carne-with-cornbread-muffins-recipe
    I'm only really trying it as I'm home alone for the weekend, wouldn't have time otherwise. It can be puttering away whilst I crack on with some work and a few chores, without a busy 8 month old demanding all of our attention!
    There's a simplified recipe on the Waitrose website, without the pressure cooker and brining stuff, using tinned beans for ease.
    http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/h/heston_s_rich_chilli_con_carne_with_spiced_butter.html
    I'm going to try the longer one today, but may try the shorter one sometime. I have to admit I've always been very happy with my tried and tested chilli (as have friends and family) but it's fun to experiment now and again.
    One thing that did intrigue me was how much he browned the mince for his recipe. To a very dark brown. Imagine the flavours must be great!
    Will report back!

12. Am I alone then? We HATED the Baker boys - so rude and condescending!!
    I doubt anything would get me to watch a second show!
    And I was so looking forward to it - we love baking bread.
    Having realised they are the current owners of Hobbs House I am even more depressed. It is losing its artisan-ness a little.
    Nope. I didn't like them at all! Shan't be wandering into Chipping Sodbury on the offchance!

I quite liked Heston though. Outrageous as his cooking is his little bits of info - like browning the mince that much are always great to hear/see.

13. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

Heston was on This Morning earlier in the week (I am not working at the moment lol). I'm going to get some dry ice to make instant ice-cream. Whilst it is a bit expensive at £30 ish for 5 kilos minimum, it is worth it for at least doing it once! I can make tonnes of ice cream with that amount of dry ice! He made it in a normal Kenwood Chef.

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I recorded the first episode but I can't bring myself to watch it. I'm basing this purely on the previews, but they look like a pair of annoying ***.

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm thinking of getting some in for school. How ace would a science lesson be where the kids all made different flavour ice cream??!
    Just got to check the safety issues...

Chilli Update - well, it's bloody sublime. He's a clever sod alright. Like I say, I was pretty cocksure when it came to my own chilli, a recipe I've adapted over the years into something approaching perfection...but this is just nirvana. The spiced butter that you add at various stages (including right before serving) is inspired.
    It's not that much of a faff really. A total of 10-15 minutes in total of prepping stuff and maybe 20-30 minutes at the stove at various points. Then it's just a case of leaving it. Even the pressure cooker bit of making the tomato compote and cooking the beans isn't time-comsuming, nor the brining of the beans.
    And...it tastes just heavenly. It's not even quite finished yet, either!

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

Both of mine did it in Year 6 and in 2ndary Summer School - loved it!

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm increasingly convinced it'll be brilliant.
    Belle, as our resident science bod (assuming you're on here and not in too much pain) - have you worked with dry ice in school? Any particular H&S considerations, other than wearing gloves?

18. Ooh, that's good to know. I've planned our meals for this week and chilli's on the menu for Monday, leaving me tomorrow to make it (always better made the day before at the very least!). I'll definitely try Heston's version instead of my usual chilli, I made doubly sure I bought fresh chillies when shopping today.
    I read the reviews for the recipe and a few said the chilli wasn't spicy enough, I'm presuming you can spice it up according to the amount of chilli butter added.
    Regarding them comments on here about how much the meat is browned, that's very useful to know as the recipe doesn't imply a thorough browning of the meat. Any other tips, nick? I can imagine your house is very quiet without D and M!

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes, I'd agree that it isn't quite as hot as I like it, especially once you add the lime juice. Be aware that as you add more spiced butter, you are adding more and more butter to the dish, which is lovely, but it does get a bit over-indulgent! The butter isn't especially hot, just spicy.
    I'd double (at least) the fresh chilli content. It's about ready to eat (just waiting on the rice, with a cold beer next to me!), and I think I'll add loads of pepper to give it some whack. Heat isn't everything with chilli, but I do like a kick, myself.
    Other than that...no real tips. Do get brining your beans tonight! Re the browning, I did get it very brown. Almost crispy! It's helped with the depth of the flavour though. Really good.
    Yes - a quiet house! She sang down the phone to me tonight (M that is, not D, although she might have had I asked her!), so that was good. Missing them of course, but still making the most of being able to get lots of jobs done and enjoying certain luxuries, such as reading the paper!
    Good luck with it Suze, and enjoy.

20. I've just spotted that awful mistake - I really didn't mean them comments! I meant the comments.
    My mum has a pressure cooker but I've not seen her use it for years, assuming it still works, which it probably doesn't!
    Do you use yours much, nick? I don't have one and it's one of those items which I think of as a would be useful once in a while, maybe?