1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hessian Display Boards

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Over_the_hill, May 22, 2020.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Does anyone use these in their classroom? I need to know what you use to attach the work to the hessian. Surely blu-tac would make a mess. Would stapling ruin the hessian? Thanks in advance.

2. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

.stapples

Pomza and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Staples and pins are fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. MollyM

MollyM New commenter

I use staples and pins to.o -they fit between the gaps and have been easy to remove without damaging the hessian. I have attached a gasmask which stayed up for a term.

1 person likes this.
  5. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

The hessian does play havoc wih your knuckles when you remove the staples though!

1 person likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Map pins would be fab, unless you have children who will steal them and stab each other.
    You may need that after the holidays! :D

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. X

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

We used staples and pins successfully. But when we covered all our large boards with hessian, we were hoping it would last at least a few years - it was considerably more expensive to do than using display paper or even card. When we took down displays that had been up for a half a term, the hessian had faded quite a lot. By the time a year was up, it looked very faded and shabby and we gave up and took it down. It didn't prove cost effective for us.

9. May2

May2 Established commenter

We had boards covered with hessian in different colours in a primary school. We thought we were going to just attach work to them but they turned out to be too dull so we still used bright backing paper stapled to them first before attaching work. They lasted ok using staples and then removing them although most of us would staple at an angle which always made it easier to remove. A trick I wasn't aware of until I'd been teaching about 15 years!

10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I’m shocked by this talk of removing staples. I always thought that the idea was to just carry on hammering staples into the thing, until they comprise about 90% of the structure of the whole board. And then, every couple of years or so, cover it up with whatever hideous coloured paper you could ‘borrow’ from somebody else’s classroom (when they weren’t there, of course)...