1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

He's officially a Brit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, Feb 13, 2016.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

For those who might have spotted my posts (rants) about the trials and tribulations of meeting and marrying a non-Brit/non EU?Commonwealth partner or for those who weren't aware that hubby no 2 ( a much improved specimen and all round lovely chap) is American ...well last Wednesday we finally made the British citizenship ceremony ....and MrREMfan is now officially a British citizen!

This has entailed 1. Getting married ..2003 2. Applying for spouse visa which meant he had to return to the USA and apply for this from there - so one had to guess how long we thought it might take etc. He had sold his house in upstate NY so went to live with a sister in Georgia. We had some hiccoughs over all that especially as I still lived in the ex marital home and even though owning outright 3 other properties I had to ask the ex for his written permission for Jim to live in the house to satisfy the Home Office! 3. After 2 years of living and working here we applied for his indefinite leave to stay. This, though expensive, was relatively hassle free.4. After a good few years and some prodding from my kids.... we decided that as this Tory government seems capable of doing all sorts of awful things - and as a non Brit etc MrREMfan could prove an easy target let's say regarding inheritance tax for example, we get he had better become a British citizen. (He could also then register voting in national and local elections) So..... he had to pass his Life in the UK test - have a look at that some time folks..... I defy people to pass it! There was also the biometric info to register - that proved to be a "fun day" of endless chasing around the nearest cities and towns trying to find a participating Post Office with a working biometric machine! The Home Office then had to keep hold of lots of our legal documents for 4 months (to justify the high cost of the application I feel) I finally snapped and sent them a stroppy letter about them keeping our documents and heigh ho the very next day after posting that....the documents arrived back by my recorded delivery with the info that he had been improved and that we now needed to contact the Local Authority to arrange a citizenship ceremony. This proved very straightforward and we had to attend in the same registry office where we were married.

So last Wednesday along with a Nigerian, a Chinese, a Lithuanian and a Pole.... MrREMfan swore allegiance to the Queen and pledged himself ready to be a good citizen; the National Anthem was played, short appropriate speeches made by the Mayor of Halton and the dep Lieutenant of Cheshire.... and Bob's yer uncle..... he's official!

IMG_0479.JPG

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah congratulations... another lost colonial back in the fold... ;)

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Hooray!

HelenREMfan likes this.
  4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Congratulations! :)

Is that it now? Nothing else to worry about? Brilliant news! :)

Lara mfl 05 and HelenREMfan like this.
  5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

What a happy thing to be able to announce after all of that time. Congratulations :)

HelenREMfan likes this.
  6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Hooray! What a relief for you both.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Mrs FW isn't a British citizen. Whislt she has lived in the UK for more than half her live, she has no intention of taking any Citizenship Test (last time I looked it included answers that were obviously untrue as 'correct'), nor taking part in any (to my eyes) rather silly ceremony cooked up by David Blunkett...

But I'm pleased for you, if it makes you feel more secure!

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  8. HelenREMfan

Tbh.... an overriding consideration was we worried what this government might do relating to Inheritance tax..... what if.... a non British national was taxed higher on any inheritance ? They could slip that in under the radar at any time. Plus the costs of these things rise significantly all the time. We prob should have done it ages ago.....

As a non royalist I was prepared to grit my teeth re the ceremony but it wasn't too bad. The Mayor was lovely and gave a mini history feature on the area ... I told him he could cross his fingers if he wished :)

FrankWolley likes this.
  9. HelenREMfan

10. FrankWolley

I've just had a look at the first two pages of 20 questions. I scored 39/40 (and would dispute the 40th as it is definitely) a matter of opinion*, not fact - see below!)

Quite frankly a greater waste of time than revising for this I can't imagine!

* This one was:-

The Middle Ages or the medieval period was a time of almost constant war
    • True
    • False
    The 'correct' answer is 'True', but is this really factually correct? Depends what you mean on 'constant' and 'war' I guess...

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Congratulations.at least i hope you have peace in this issue......now you can get on living your life more fully an enjoy every moment of your togetherness x

HelenREMfan likes this.
  12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'll bet many, many English people don't know anything about Hadrian's Wall or Maiden Castle - why is this so important? Or the date of the Battle of Bosworth? I could go on. What a bizarre collection of questions.

Also carving pumpkins at Hallowe'en is an American tradition IMO, when I was a child we used turnips. How important is it anyway?

Congratulations though.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Question 6 was about Halloween lanterns and there was no mention of turnips.

racroesus and InkyP like this.
  14. Flere-Imsaho

And saying schools get their money from the government is wrong? I've never heard of Maiden's Castle.
    I doubt many of the children I teach would know many of these.

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Did he have to give up his American citizenship? I was told that I couldn't have UK or Irish dual with America as an adult (as they require an oath of alligence to the new country) - but that may be old information..... My son (now 4) holds dual Irish and US citizenship....

ps. and congrats! I came through the EU spouse route, but my husband also holds British citizenship (born here)....

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have to admit I guessed that one, correctly as it turned out. I knew the Battle of Bosworth because I read a lot of Philippa Gregory novels about that period. I knew about 'The Enlightenment' from O Level History and the votes for women etc. but to suggest that people need to know all these things to be British is crazy. I didn't bother trying after Page 1 and brief look at Page 2. If you actually had to take the test I suppose it would be easy to look up all the answers and memorise them but it wouldn't prove anything about your Britishness.

17. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I got one wrong about slavery....oh, well....

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I didn't know the name of the slavery abolition act of Parliament.

Oops

sabrinakat likes this.
  19. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I did the first page and then gave up when I saw how many more pages there were.

What a strange collection of questions. :eek: I wonder what was going through the question setter's mind? :confused:

20. FrankWolley

**** all, I'd say...