1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Herman Cakes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Apr 30, 2012.

1. What is a Herman the German (gawwwwwwwwwwwd) cake brew?
    Are you meaning a dough start?

2. Yes - it's a fermented starter of flour, sugar and water which is stirred and fed over a 9 day period. On the 10th day, you divide it into 4 portions and bake a cake following a recipe sheet which accompanies the portion of starter ferment. You then give away the remaining 3 portions and a copy of the recipe sheet to 3 friends - or 2 friends, if you want to continue with a further fermenting process. Hope this explains it - I called it a brew, because it sits bubbling away in your kitchen, or conservatory, scullery or utility room - wherever you choose to keep it warm!

3. A friendship cake! Very German, we do this often (also with bread dough).
    You can keep portions of it in the fridge. Then reactivate with more liquid and flour when you need to use it. You then need to restart the warming process, so that the mix bubbles again.
    It depends on the quantities you have used - I do not wait so long. I always have a bread dough starter on the go and refeed as necessary.
    If you need more tips, give a holler. Beth and I know all about this ;o)

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Someone gave me one of these disgusting fermentations. Straight in the bin I tell you sweeties. How many unwashed hands had that been through.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I was given a Herman friendship mix recently and I'm afraid it went into the bin - not very friendly I know [​IMG] but I was just so busy I couldn't deal with it and passing mixes on to others. Sorry Herman.

6. I blogged about this!

http://amateurfoodramblings.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/herman-the-german/

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm not sure that I want to eat a cake that has been fermenting for days and days.

8. Would you eat sourdough bread catmother?

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Is the cake meant to be sourdough bread? That make sense now.

10. I think it's the same principle but I've never attempted to make either!

11. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

I blame my mother for the death of mine as she refused to look after it while I went away for the weekend!! Quote - "I've got enough on my plate without looking after a bl**dy cake!" Poor Herman... :(

12. compared to herman cakes, chain letters threatening woe if you don't pass them on seem positively benign
    i'm with vp's mother all the way

13. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

:)) I would have killed it myself anyway, no good trying to apportion blame!!

14. it was the attitude i admired [​IMG]

15. I haven't killed mine, and I made the cake - which is by all accounts, lush. But I still have 3 portions and no friends who want one...:-(. Sob...

16. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

I remember doing one ages ago and passed some on to a friend who misread the recipe - when it said 3/4 cup of oil she added 3-4 cups instead and wondered why it was so heavy!! [​IMG]