1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Nov 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Hi. I have now lost the respect of the senior leaders by a TA who had reported about what happened in the test today (e.g. delayed starting due to a muddle of papers - my fault - and needing to photocopy some more due to a new arrival). This has made me feel more vulnerable since the TA concerned told the year and senior leaders. After working so hard to re-gain the trust of many colleagues after a turbulent year, I feel it's back to square one. Helpful advice or reflections please. TKx

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

What is done is what is done. Can you just apologise to affected parties and get on with this difficult job to the best of your abilities?

Always a dodgy way to view the world, your view of the 'respect' others have for you. Can't you find any other criteria that you can even measure?

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Are you sure you've lost their respect? Or is this understandable sensitivity?

thekillers1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Some factors outside your control. Was the test that important? As long as it was an internal test and the kids did the test in a way that ensures reliable measurement, a bit of a muddle at the start should not be too much a problem.
    Have a good weekend
    P

5. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I always try to be perfect but often fail. I would lose respect for a TA that grasses me up to SLT! Shrug it off, no-one got hurt. Learn from it. Always copy a couple of extra papers. Move on, smile and hold your head up high!

6. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

If it's not the SATs then sod it.

7. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

Your TA sounds like more of a problem. Surely she should have been the one to offer to go and do the photocopying when it became apparent there was an error, rather than running off to stitch you up! You're human. You can bet it's happened to SLT at some point or other. I don't know if I haven't grasped the situation, but I really don't see why this is a big deal. Have management spoken to you?

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I wouldn't be happy if a TA or anyone did that to me. We can't all be 100% perfect and on the ball all of the time. You are human and the TA sounds like someone I would not want in my classroom. Is she perfect 100% of the time?

9. runawayjackson

runawayjackson New commenter

My TA would support.me to the end, you have a very disloyal ta imho

thekillers1 likes this.
  10. thekillers1

Thanks all. No one approached me about this so happy Friday xxx

Mermaid7 and agathamorse like this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's actually a nothing, but you clearly have a habituated perspective on the situation,so why should my words matter?

This is my suggestion:
    As soon as you wake up tomorrow, buy a copy of the Daily Mail and The Sun, take them to a really horrible cafe, and read them both cover to cover over coffee. Every article, every word. Then leave, and go about your Saturday in any way you fancy.

This will serve to create perspective, because you will experience first hand that there are worse ways to delay a start due to the wrong papers.

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Exactly. Aren't TAs there to HELP the teacher?

Before anyone rushes to say they are TEACHING not TEACHER'S assistants and that they are there to help the children, surely her behaviour did nothing to help learning?

I had some amazing TAs and none would have done this, unless a teacher had actually done something that was of serious concern.

I'm pretty sure that even if they had been asked directly about something, they wouldn't have 'dropped the teacher in it'; no-one would have expected them to lie, but they could simply have said that nothing of any consequence happened.

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

How do you know s/he went to SLT?
    Did s/he tell you?
    And if s/he did and SLT has said nothing to you, they may well have said something to him/her - like 'stop wasting our time.'

JohnJCazorla, PGCE_tutor and Mermaid7 like this.
  14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

This seems to me to be a very small and unimportant matter indeed - we've all got in a muddle like this at one time or another. But I can empathise - when you are feeling vulnerable, I know how easy it is to dwell on something and feel that it's a much bigger deal than it is. Try to relax and chill this weekend, and start the new week with a smile on Monday. I can't imagine there would be any repercussions from such a trivial matter, except that SLT have hopefully marked the card of the tattle-tale TA!

15. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Send the ta to copy the papers next time!! :)

agathamorse and mothorchid like this.
  16. FredfromFrance

FredfromFrance New commenter

Looks like you have a viper in your midst! Be careful and try to beat her at her own game. I've been victim to a back-stabbing TA or two in my time!

17. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Whenever I have had a backstabbing TA they have always been absolutely useless. The worst one helped a girl to cheat in a GCSE mock exam. She gave her the answers. She was so thick that the student failed:D:D.
    Watch your back, be careful what you say and do. Remember you are in charge and explain her duties very clearly. This includes photocopying when you are under pressure.

thekillers1, Mermaid7 and agathamorse like this.
  18. thekillers1

That sounds right!

19. thekillers1

She has caused upset to numerous TAs and teachers so her reputation has been established and noted.

20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Exactly, odious and unctuous little TA. So disloyal. Teaching has really changed.