1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Here we go again...................possibly

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Jan 1, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Well folks - guess what - we are forecast three months of cold weather and snow again same as every Winter. The return of the "Beast from the East" - chaos on the roads and railways - massive snowdrifts up to our ankles - the usual.

.....and none of it will happen.

2. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

It sells papers and keeps gritters in the council pay.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yah - husband just telling me Feb will be brutal - yawn .......

ATfan and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

It’s winter. What a shocker...

les25paul, ATfan, BelleDuJour and 4 others like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Two flakes of snow in this country and the entire road system grinds to a halt.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Imagine how cold the Seahorses are going to get !

7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I wondered how long it would be before the seahorses resurfaced. But I guess they can insulate themselves in a layer of Angel delight.

ATfan, sodalime and peakster like this.
  8. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I remember going to school in the ‘80s through 5-6 inches of snow. Now schools appear to close at the merest hint of the white stuff.

ATfan, needabreak, minnie me and 2 others like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Paint stripper acts like antifreeze in Seahorses - they'll be fine

Just checked the weather for the week ahead for my home city - it could get as low as -2 and there's a 4% chance of snow on Thursday

That's a certain day off school then.

ATfan, sodalime and primarycat like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Back in the 70s in North Yorkshire we got quite a bit of snow in the Winter - the long, cold winter of 1963 cut Scarborough off and led (amongst many other things) to many births in the Autumn of 1964.

However - our school was on top of a very steep hill - in the snow there was no way the bus could get up it. We were dropped off at the bottom and we then waded through the drifts up to school. By the time we got there and a million snowballs had been thrown - we were knackered.

ATfan and Dragonlady30 like this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Wednesday to Sunday are to be cold here according to the forecast, frosts at night and max of 5C in the day, after that no frosts but colder than recently, in January, the coldest month, whodathunkit?! No doubt we'll get some dimwits claiming it disproves global warming.

The winter has been quite mild so far, a cold week in November and few frosts. By this time last year we'd had two snowfalls.

So a fairly randomish pattern of coldish weather like every winter then.

Since we've had a woodburner, I see the level of logs left as an indicator, so far we seem to have used somewhat less than the last few years.

ATfan likes this.
  12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Considering how good they are at forecasting they would be better looking at the entrails of slaughtered goats. According to the Metoffice forecast there is a 10% chance of rain here at the moment. Its raining.

ATfan and primarycat like this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've concluded that whoever predicts precipitation at the Met Office is in dire need of a statement and some one-to-one support.

ATfan likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Last Winter we had a day when there was 100% chance of snow

It didn't.

ATfan likes this.
  15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

So longas we get a couple of snow days that will be fine!

vannie and ATfan like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The merest hint of snow this winter and I'm going to school by train

We had ONE really snowy day last year - the chaos on the roads was unbelievable.

ATfan likes this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My car (bought October '17) was hopeless in the snow and ice had a couple of extremely scary journeys. I've got 4 new tyres but if it snows I'm staying put. What car is it? A Yeti :confused:.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most Skoda's handle like a tank - not what you want in the snow and ice.

ATfan and Ivartheboneless like this.
  19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Depends. Surely the 4 wheel drive yeti can cope with snow? My Jag has 4 wheel drive and is absolutely fine in snow, but of course it still requires sense and care, which are sadly lacking in most drivers presented with half an inch of snow.

ATfan likes this.
  20. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

:eek: Crazy talk!!! - what's the point in having giant seahorses, saddled and ready to go if you're not going to use them? So much cheaper and more reliable than train travel!

Mangleworzle, primarycat and ATfan like this.