1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Here Is How You Teach Maths!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by JosephBloggs, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Ok - promised myself not to get sucked in again but I have to .... I find myself somewhat agreeing with JB on post 276.

If it ain't broke don't break it yourself and then try to refix it - agree 100%.

One of the things I analyse in great depth is the breakdown on marks we get in different topics both in KS3 SATS and GCSE papers (you get question by question breakdowns with EdExcel GCSE).

Clarly things go up and down from year to year so it is longr term patterns that I look for.

For example our students consistantly outperform their equivalents in other schools on fractions, decimals & percentages questions at all ability levels and students, in their self evaluations, say they feel very confident on these topics - clearly this is a strength and needs little attention in terms of looking at alternative methods for teaching.

However, for a number of years, we have performed relatively poorly on probability questions and students say they feel less confident on these topics - hence that is our T&L focus for this year. We are looking, as a team, at how we teach probability and what changes we may need to make.

Of course the data is more powerful than this even - within the dept. we have consistency of value added across the range of maths staff but this hides individual strengths and (relative) weaknesses between topics. Hence I can use the data to highlight staff who appear 'expert' at teaching a particular topic and ensure that their lesson plans, ideas are shared amoungst the rest of the dept (perhaps electronically or in a dept. meeting).

Also agree about not rewriting the syllabus etc. each year - that is one very good example about where we ignored LEA advice - they suggested we ammend our KS3 SoW to fit in with the national KS3 plan - we declined!

One warning though - the day anywhere tries to stand still you can be sure they'll start to slip backwads. It is always important to try and find that extra little bit (it also keeps you fresh as a teacher).

Our other focus for the next couple of years is the progress of boys who gain a level 6 in their SATS - these seem to make less progress here than their female equivalents. That's what I am looking at now - I don't think that will be an easy one! This may involve T&L but also structures in terms of setting etc.

2. #280 - me too! Sucked in....

BUT

I don't know who said it but "fill a room with monkeys and given enough pens, paper & time they will write the Gutenburg bible [or something]..."

As with our deluded friend, given enough of his ranting / twaddle / arrogance / idiocy / etc, even he may come up with one good point...

Doesn't mean he should be praised for it though - just seeks to encourage the idiot.....

Sorry Maths

3. A POSTER WROTE....

Ah now I understand, you are one of THEM - the ones who wander around school thinking they are "it" because they are taking A level maths and physics not 'soft' subjects.

Yes you are probably one of those who thinks a BSc is better than a BA regardless of subject.

I WRITE...

Hey - have we met - you know me so well. And so are you one of them who is in the corridor looking at ones like me with envious eyes. LOL.

Of course a BSc is better than a BA.

4. ----------------FINAL MESSAGE--------------------

I know - it is so easy to get sucked back in after you say you are leaving like Mr MATHSHOD did. But you see, there is my power - to bring people together through my words.

Hey - I should be a speechwriter.

Goodness - never have I created such a popular post on any forum. Nearly 30 pages and 300 posts!!!

On my teaching - I have learned that I will listen more when people don't try and push me into things. Show me that a certain teaching style works. Show me that your middle group can outperform mine and then hey I would be the first one to say "how the bloody hell did you do that - show me your teahcing styles" as I am someone who would want to be able to get the highest results from my pupils and beat other teachers. You see - I am not saying METHOD METHOD METHOD and then watching other teahers outperform me. But up until now, those teachers who use the other methods are underperforming compared to me. Maybe time will change things as I meet more teachers in more schools.

But for now it is time to leave. I think we have covered everything in detail and we are staring to go round and round like other posters said.

So farewell people.

Thanks for the advice...

...and always stay one step ahead of the game!

5. Oh shut up

6. Is that really it?

Hopefully there's a Phd website somewhere and we'll see a thread on 'Here is how you get a Phd'.

I am amazed that you managed to get a job with all your views on ECM. Were you honest on thiis at interview? Or did you keep you views to yourself and spout something you thought would get you a job?

Whilst I do appreciate your simplistic views on things, and in some cases nearly agree, you have so much to learn. Have you ever gone back to your teachers and talk to them about method method method?

If that was your final one then good luck with whatever you end up doing. And please feel free to contribute sensibly to some other discusions.

An amusing name? Possibly. Better than manygreatfailures, but I'll try and be positive.

7. pcjcook

pcjcook New commenter

Hey Joe

Don't leave us! What will we do without your powerful insights?

By the way, I don't think you ever revealed what class of degree you have - do tell!

8. interesting stuff. i the wake of the polish lad going back to poland due to the lack of emphasis on learning in this country (he said it was all about effort here) The sun columnist Trevor Kavanagh wrote::

proven teaching techniques and classroom discipline hav been dumped in favour of child centred teaching where pupils sink or swim. disciplined education is neither right-wing nor oppressive. it is liberating, enlightening,intoxicating. it is bedrock of a decent society. And any teacher who disagrees should not be allowed near a classroom.

9. A POSTER WROTE....

Ah now I understand, you are one of THEM - the ones who wander around school thinking they are "it" because they are taking A level maths and physics not 'soft' subjects.

Yes you are probably one of those who thinks a BSc is better than a BA regardless of subject.

I WRITE...

Hey - have we met - you know me so well. And so are you one of them who is in the corridor looking at ones like me with envious eyes. LOL.

Of course a BSc is better than a BA.

Ah you have fallen for my dastardly plan. So acording to you a first class BA in Maths from Cambridge Uni is not as good as a 3rd class BSc from Bolton Institute.

Oh sorry didn't you now, Cambridge doesn't award BScs.

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Post 287 I don't see the conflict between what you have quoted and the views of the majority on here. I would describe my teaching as "disciplined", in fact I would agree with everything you have quoted from the columnist. I wouldn't describe it as "method, method, method."

11. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

I have not read the whole of this thread yet, so I apologise if my thread in Opinion appears off-topic. I think not. Mathematics is not my first subject, which is science. I have always taught science as a practical subject, therefore my maths teaching follows suit, that is, get the kids doing something, in this case, SUMS! Pages and pages of boring exercises, the reward for which is the next page. Algorithms (method, method, method?) are taught, then practiced ad-nauseam. In a disciplined atmosphere even the not-so-bright eventually learn. The bright simply move on more quickly.

https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...

12. Mathsteach2 - as you haven't read the whole of this thread you will have missed my earlier post so I will repeat it (with apologies to those who did read it):

Definition of science: "A systematic study using observation, experiment, and measurement, of physical and social phenomena, or any specific area involving such a study."

Definition of mathematics: "The study of the measurement, properties, and relationships of quantities and sets, using numbers and symbols."

I pity the fool who cannot distinguish between these!

PS I'm pro-science, but Maths isn't a science.

13. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

This thread may well have gone past its sell-buy date, 2cubed3squared, therefore in reply I am going to start another here in Maths on some of the differences, as I see them, between school mathematics and school science. My own thread in Opinion seems to have died its death as well, and I am also hoping that these subject forums are more conducive to sensible discussion rather than suffering from hijacking etc.