1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Here Is How You Teach Maths!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by JosephBloggs, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Hey FLOMP!

Retire - you clearly don't read!

I am new to the profession - if you can call it that.

Lucky that some like me are coming through - and believe me - out of 18 I know - 12 think like me. Because we have come from business and experienced this and know how sick the managers are - and schools in general - some of us have worked in 3 - one in 4 - to see if it is a problem with a school or the industry!

It seems it is the industry!

But a few years in a good school - I am sure you can forget and think things have improved. So people on her in good schools where what I say sounds crazy - don't leave whatever you do.

2. I'll have a go Piranha

If they didn't force AFL down your throat so much then maybe I wouldn't be so averse too.

When you are new to the job you just want to establish yourself and be able to teach in any fashion.

They overload you with all that rubbish and it turns you off.

Wait 3 years - once a teacher is established and a bit bored of just repetitive method then he/she can seek out the HOD and others and ask for ideas.

Maybe then people would be more receptive!

3. Oh - GINBOY is back!

4. careful i can see that vein throbbing......

5. Flomp

Flomp New commenter

JB - I do read; you totally missed my point.

6. JB (post 255) said: "I SAY

Well I can flip your comment. It looks like you are interesting in getting C grades or above out of all students and thus by trying this youa re holding back the ones who could really fly if you did as a teacher. So your C or above scores look good in the school but that doesn't reflect those you have held back."

That is a misinterpretation of what I said. Either deliberate or accidental. I am beginning to form an opinion as to which!

I clearly stated, in my post, a whole range of successes - from assisting students who were functionally innumerate to assisting students to get A* to helping students fulfill their potential in double Maths at A level and onto University to do Maths.

I think it is crystal clear that I aim to get the best out of all students (I'll deal with your ECM rant in a minute). I would suggest that your posts imply that you don't give a hoot about any student who is not going to go on and get the very highest grades.

Oh for what it is worth - our CVA is in the top 5% of the country for KS2-4 progress; almost 50% of our students got an A*/A in Maths last year and over 25% of our students got a level 8 in Maths at KS3.

Holding students back are we?

Oh and we are a comprehensive school - so I am equally proud that 90% of students got a C or above in Maths and that not a single student gained below an F grade for the 5th successive year.

At the start of this topic I felt that you were someone who was just starting out on the teaching profession and that I'd cut you some slack and try and convince you that there is more to teaching than just training students how to answer questions. Now I feel, due to your ongoing rudeness, that you may be beyond taking any advice.

Ps. You still have not provided the source of statsitics to back up your statement that results were better in the past than now (and specifically 10 years ago). Do they exist?

Pps. Good luck in your PhD quest! Perhaps you could do one on different teaching styles?

7. JB (post 256) said: "If the LEA suddently told all schools to teach method you would be on here agreeing with them. I have met people like you in the school - they are lik drones who will do as the LEA say."

I think if you went along and chatted to our LEA advisers you'd get a very different message.

8. JB said: "ECM - Grow up! Do your job - teach. If anyone holds up that job you try your best but after that they drop out of ECM. You do the best you can for the group who WANT TO DO WELL.

I would have been appalled if I would have got a C when I could get an A because a teacher did ECM and so my progresses was halted due to that. I am working - you care about me more was our approach at school - teachers said it - we knew it - and IT WORKED!"

Ah - once again misinterpretation from JB - I'll let others judge whether or not it is a sign of vagueness in my writing or JBs desire to find a reason to (once again) be rude and throw abuse at people.

You will (perhaps) recall that I was using ECM to say that we should value progress in all our students - not just the high flyers.

I'm going to leave this thread shortly and don't intend to return - if I want abuse I can get it when refereeing - something that I am relatively new at. Still I'm keen to learn and will listen to advice from others so perhaps I'll improve.

As for kids who misbehave - I've a couple of comments:

1) I agree that students who misbehave should not be tolerated and that action should be taken against them to protect the majority. I do not consider that this contradicts ECM - if a child is playing up to that level then they have acute social development needs and it matters greatly to that childs chances (ECM see!) that this is modified before they reach adulthood.

2) Now I suspect that you are just going to love this - I feel that for *some* students the teaching style & activities can impact upon behaviour. Not all but *some*. Perhaps a greater variety of lesson styles will improve their behaviour without being detrimental to the learning of the others?

9. Well said sir!

I'm looking forward to JB reply to that

10. JB said: "Well at least you are doing that right - correct management!"

Ah - a nice comment from JB to finish on.

Thanks JB - I can sleep properly now I have your blessing for my methods.

Perhaps one day I'll reflect on this thread and think - "Good old JB was right you know - I am so glad the LEA came up and said I should do method, method, method - if only I'd listened and just ignored any student who wasn't perfect and couldn't cope with such a diet then I'd be so much happier"

or perhaps one day I won't but you'll have reflected on the fact that you were rude and offensive to some people who genuinely tried to be understanding of your 'rawness' and who despite this, I hope, never resorted to personal abuse in return.

Good luck with the rest of your teaching career (or elsewhere if feel you'll be happier doing something else with your 1st class degree - BSc not BA mind you - from a very good Univeristy of course).

Nice chatting!

11. jnboy1 - are you that kid who stands in the playground shouting "fight, fight, fight!" whenever two people sqaure up?

;-)

12. Flomp - post 252 - cheers and good luck with the rest of your course and, hopefully, a rewarding career helping all students fulfill their individual potential.

13. Not me...

But i have to say that as a study of reasoned and passionate commitment to pupils learning vs uninformed and vitriolic determination to shout down all opposition i am finding this whole thread fascinating.

A bit of winding up is also sometimes fun :)

14. The thread is pointless because the one who started it is clueless. However, in the classroom, dangerous.

15. JB you sound like my dream teacher. Please let me know where yoy teach so I can visit, bask in the glory of your lessons and lap up the love and praise that must emanate from your pupils and colleagues.

16. *you* not yoy.

17. TO MATHS HOD.....

Well if they are doing so well .. you can just keep teaching as you are.

I mean - there is no need to rewrite the syllibus or lesson plans each year or do anything now as you seem to have excellent grades.

If you alter things your results might go down. No - you come to work and let your staff have a nice rest and just get on with the standard job.

OR.

We must continute to improve and therefore this year I am going to allocate you all work which we did last year but we are going to do over again so we can show the head that we are "moving forward". Na - doesn't bother me that I am wasting your time and the evidence is there in that we are getting top results - just need to allocate everyone useless tasks to waste time.

Schools have been around for years - anyone who is writing a lesson plan on fractions - my question is WHY. It should have been done by now. But they probably did it last year and are doing it this year to improve it. You call it "moving forward".

Do you know what I call that.

Inefficiency - when they did it the first time.

18. MATHS HOD WROTE...

Pps. Good luck in your PhD quest! Perhaps you could do one on different teaching styles?

I REPLY...

Are you kidding me. My Ph.D isn't going to be in education writing essays on how children learn. What a load of **** a Ph.D that would be. Now that (Mr poster from a while ago) is what I call doing 3 years because you just WANT TO HAVE a PhD rather than WANT TO DO a Ph.D. That would be so easy it makes my eyes water.

GOD NO

I am going to do a Ph.D. in maths!

Now that is worthwhile Ph.D.

You go tell someone you got a Ph.D. in education they will say - oh that is good.

You go tell someone you got a Ph.D. in mathematics - watch the different reaction.

That says it all on how worthwhile it is and how powerful it is once done!

Thanks for the good luck. I will take that with me wherever I go.

19. QUOTED....

2) Now I suspect that you are just going to love this - I feel that for *some* students the teaching style & activities can impact upon behaviour. Not all but *some*. Perhaps a greater variety of lesson styles will improve their behaviour without being detrimental to the learning of the others?

I see nothing wrong with that - as long as it doesn't impact on the high flyers of the group and doesn't hold them back.

You see I live in the real world - where I believe that if someone breaks into your own home and you hit them over the head with a mallet that they should not be able to use the law against you.

They have broken the law - so they forfit all rights to use it - if they didn't want to do that - DON'T BREAK INTO MY HOME!

If kids mess about and don't care for others - they fall out of my ECM - and don't have the rights of the others in the class - until they behave. I will not let them drag others down.

20. I am going to do a Ph.D. in maths!

Now that is worthwhile Ph.D.

You go tell someone you got a Ph.D. in education they will say - oh that is good.

You go tell someone you got a Ph.D. in mathematics - watch the different reaction.

Ah now I understand, you are one of THEM - the ones who wander around school thinking they are "it" because they are taking A level maths and physics not 'soft' subjects.

Yes you are probably one of those who thinks a BSc is better than a BA regardless of subject.