1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Here Is How You Teach Maths!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by JosephBloggs, Oct 10, 2007.

1. cauchy 777 - I too had always found circle theorems very dry to teach. A colleague introduced me to Cabri and showed me how to get students familiar enough with it quickly such that they could investigate many of the circle theorems through gentle pointers in the right direction.

It allowed them to verbalise the rules in their own words (rather than recalling a set of words that I had given them by rote) which meant that they were much more likely to be able to apply them in the appropriate situation.

2. THANKS FOR THE BANKING INFO WHERE YOU SAID...

"So, JB, if you really want to go for Investment Banking, then do it. Be warned - it is hard work, and tough to get into. I recall my company having over 1000 applicants for 3 graduate trainee positions. I was involved in interviewing the final 24, and I picked the one I thought to be the best mathematician to work in my department."

Ahh - well that's me sorted then. You see I have a 1st and an MSc and a PGCE you know - so should do fine. I went into teaching for that "worthwhile" factor but they don't just let you get on with it. The interfearance from others is unbearable! In a company you do you job - that's it. Here someone always has to sick their oar in cos they want you to teach like them.

Perhaps they thought I was a loser or something. With my qualifications - what am I doing in teaching they may be saying - so they think I am weak and a soft touch - and can push me around - so have tried it on like kids try it on.

I think a more worthwhile job for me may be banking. And sweetie - if I want in - I will bloody get in no matter how hard it is. No one stops me when I am determined. A trus story - I had job rejections from an industry once before just after graduation. I ended up getting a job in that industry just to prove a point. Once in - I resigned a week later stating that I wanted in this career but had lost interest with all the rejections - but I pushed hard to get in just to ensure I didn't fail. Now I am off to an industry that wants me first time. Naturally the compant was not happy. But that is not my problem. They would have happily rejected me if they wanted without a care for me, right.

You see - I win - always.

Banking - bring it on - maybe! Lets see how teaching goes for a bit.

3. QUOTED....

"I am almost in awe of the arrogance that allows someone to believe that their achievements define "success". "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OH MY GOD!!!!

You must be and AFL, VAK, "Cut up those cards and play maths games" type of teacher. Only someone like that says something like that.

OF COURSE achievements define success. So LFC has had no success at all have they with all the trophies they have won. Or Jose Mourhnio is not a successful manager is he with all the trophies he brought to chelsea.

I suppose you are like Roman - who saked him - he didn't want success he wants this beautiful fantasy football - oh grow up Roman - you had a great manager who was a winner like me and you got rid of him. Idiot!

So lets recap - Grimbsy town - who takes a young player and looks at their VALUE ADDED which may be higher than CHELSEA's or LIVERPOOL'S is a more successful club than CHELSEA or LIVERPOOL, right - cos value added is soooooooo important.

Ruubbbbbbbiiiiissshhh!

4. paradox said.....

JB - I am interested in your method. Just wondered - if you do these classroom tests and homework etc what do you then do if they have NOT understood and have failed to apply the method correctly?

I go over it again in class. Perhaps slightly differently. There is more than one way to descibe the same or similar method you know. Then test again - 99% get it the second time if they didn't the first time.

Don't ask about the 1% in typical teacher fashion. As in - oh what are you doing about them. Answer. NOTHING! Not everyone will GET every subject. You can only spend so much time on things. Any teacher who believes they can do things to suit 100% of the class is an idiot!

Questions like that to teachers are designed to belittle them. Managers feel special. My question to managers are - why have you given yourself the nice timetable and **** classes to teachers who work for you. Embarrass them for a change!

5. GOD - weggster sounds like my lawyer!

Are you kidding - I use methods everyday - and they noticed that on my PGCE.

Funny how in the independant school I taught in it wasn't a problem - only the public school.

Get this - independants get higher results. Duh - wonder why? Rmember - money doesn't make intelligence - but parents want value for money - so to get that - you must teahc method.

I think some of you have been brainwashed to not see the truth. Go visit an independant - or mention to your manager what I have said above. Watch their reacion as they fumble around for an answer that they know is false!

P.S - I only sleep 4 hours - always have!

6. Hey weggster - it is nothing to do with you how someone in your department teaches - you don't have contractual control over their methods. You can only make suggestions.

Boy I wish I worked for you. I would show you how you would not intimidate me into teaching any way other than I want to.

To answer your question::::::::

The reason why the formula stops working - is because it is a different formula you need. The "teaching" needed is the recognition of knowing when to use what. And I do teach them that and it comes also though PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and recognising the problems......

....oh god - why am I saying this. If you as mathematicians don't know how you become good at the subject then perhaps you really do have no degrees or 2:2

Perhaps the only way to get grades up is restrict entry to 1st or 2:1 in maths and PGCE. Up starting salary to £29000. Let each teacher teach in their own way. Being pushed into another way will not suit them even though it suits another teacher. Test that for 10 years. I bet we get improvement.

7. Pass the shovel

8. What sort of sad **** is up at 03:00 typing this sh*t

9. JB said: "So lets recap - Grimbsy town - who takes a young player and looks at their VALUE ADDED which may be higher than CHELSEA's or LIVERPOOL'S is a more successful club than CHELSEA or LIVERPOOL, right - cos value added is soooooooo important.

Ruubbbbbbbiiiiissshhh!"

This seems to imply that you are only interested in getting the best out of able students and not out of all students.

Have I correctly interpretted this statement?

If I can turn someone who is functionally innumerate into a person who is numerate is that success?

If I can turn someone who has a phobia of maths and won't even attempt anything with numbers into someone who can (and will) pass GCSE Maths at grade C is that success?

If I can get someone who is targetting a grade B at GCSE to really 'get' maths so much that they get an A* at GCSE and then go on to do A level - is that success?

If I take a student throughout years 8-13 such that they get a A at A level Maths and an A at A level Further Maths and then they go on to University to do a Maths degree (by the way they got a 1st from a University that you would, I suspect, consider very good)- is that success ?

For me these are all successes.

I would celebrate them all.

Indeed I did celebrate them all.

Value added ties in with the Every Child Matters (ECM) agenda. One I beleieve in - it basically does what it says on the tin - it says that the progress of every child matters.

10. JB: "Questions like that to teachers are designed to belittle them. Managers feel special. My question to managers are - why have you given yourself the nice timetable and **** classes to teachers who work for you."

If that happens at your place then that's rank bad management.

One issue we have here - not enough classrooms for maths lessons (ie. we have to travel around the school and do lessons in all sorts of science labs, food tech rooms etc.).

I make sure that, as HoD, I travel more than any other teacher in my team.

In terms of which groups - this year I have a top set in year 10 (my 1st top set in 5 years in the job) along with a set one above bottom in Year 11 and the similar group in year 9. Most folks here would agree that these tend to be the most difficult.

Not all managers are big bad people!

11. JB: "Get this - independants get higher results. Duh - wonder why? Rmember - money doesn't make intelligence - but parents want value for money - so to get that - you must teahc method."

Class sizes may be a factor - mean GCSE Maths class size at my place - 32; mean GCSE Maths class size at our local indepedent - 19.

Agree that money doesn't make intellegence - it does, however, buy the option to have extra tuition (1-to-1) if and when required.

At my previous school there was a clear correlation between the C/D borderline kids who got their C in the end and parental affluence (as measured by quite crude postcode analysis & FSM figures). Not just in Maths but across the board.

The DH looked into it and found that a bit of extra 1-to-1 tuition was the key factor. Normally paid for by parents and taking place out of school.

12. What's an "independant"? Is it the child of an in-law?

13. Flomp

Flomp New commenter

I have dipped in and out of this post with utter amazement; as a "mature" PGCE student, I can't believe there are still teachers like JB that haven't yet retired.

All I can say is that I hope that I will end up working with someone like MathsHOD - you are passionate and talk so much sense.

14. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I don't think anybody is going to change JB's mind here.

Why respond?

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Glad to be of service JB.

I think that the sad thing about this thread is that many of us are not that far apart. I don't want to waste lots of time with gimmicks, and I believe very strongly that they need method and practice. Where we disagree is that I do try out new things when I see potential in them, and my experience tells me that certain forms of AfL do help the learning process. In addition, I think it helpful for them to understand the why as well as the how.

Like you, I hate being told what to do. My instinct is to go and do completely the opposite (ask Mrs Piranha!) However, I will listen to suggestions when I am left to make up my own mind. Therefore, could I suggest that you take a step backwards, and see if there is anything in AfL (or anything else different to what you have done so far) which might not prove a complete waste of everybody's time, and give it a try? Forget the cutting and sticking - that doesn't suit your style. But how about asking them to write a couple of lines on how they did in a piece of work? Or asking them to do a 'how do I...' explanation? Or anything different, really? You won't have wasted much time. At worst, you will be able to say "I told you so", and at best, you may find something which makes your teaching even better.

16. MATHSHOD SAID...

This seems to imply that you are only interested in getting the best out of able students and not out of all students.

I SAY

Well I can flip your comment. It looks like you are interesting in getting C grades or above out of all students and thus by trying this youa re holding back the ones who could really fly if you did as a teacher. So your C or above scores look good in the school but that doesn't reflect those you have held back.

Those pupils may not go on to do A Level as they view it as too hard. Had you given them the methods and made it look easy - you may have more doing A Level.

17. For me these are all successes.

I would celebrate them all.

Oh god - typical HOD talk.

Celebrate successes - you really do fall for this LEA dribble don't you?

The best people in the world have one thing in common - they do things their own way.

If the LEA suddently told all schools to teach method you would be on here agreeing with them. I have met people like you in the school - they are lik drones who will do as the LEA say.

Insiprational people - pick out the best and are not afraid to ignore the worst of any politics

18. HOD SAID

Value added ties in with the Every Child Matters (ECM) agenda. One I beleieve in - it basically does what it says on the tin - it says that the progress of every child matters.

I SAY

Every Child matters - more tripe.

Do you think a child who holds up the progress purposely of others in a class because they are going to work with their "Da" age 16 who says that school is s*ite and he always hated it and so supports his son in cauging havoc - matters at all to me!

I agree that he may have a poor family life and we can all talk about that sob story and how I can feel sorry for him - but if you want to deal with that you become a SOCIAL WORKER. The same way if you want to deal with teenage crime you become a POLICE OFFICER.

It is not the responsibility of teachers to do everyone else's job just because you know the pupils and they are in your workplace. To comapre - Is it not my responsibility to sort out the social life problems of a colleague in an office if I worked in that environment just because I see them everyday.

To make a better comparison - do you care about your staff and adopt an EVERY STAFF MATTERS approach. Do all schools? I think not - that is why this forum exists and all the lousy things that go on in schools are spoken of on here. Schools couldn't care less. Your are just spouting LEA propoganda!

ECM - Grow up! Do your job - teach. If anyone holds up that job you try your best but after that they drop out of ECM. You do the best you can for the group who WANT TO DO WELL.

I would have been appalled if I would have got a C when I could get an A because a teacher did ECM and so my progresses was halted due to that. I am working - you care about me more was our approach at school - teachers said it - we knew it - and IT WORKED!

19. MATHS HOD SAID

I make sure that, as HoD, I travel more than any other teacher in my team.

I SAY

Well at least you are doing that right - correct management!

20. If we keep posting will your head eventually explode?