1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Here Is How You Teach Maths!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by JosephBloggs, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Method - Method - Method.

Anyone who says different - ask them what class of degree they have - they won't say 1st Class - that's for sure.

As for those who can't learn in this style - then I;m sorry - but that is maths. They may be better at English or Sports.

But you don't try and train the whole country to be a professional footballer by saying "oh - we can't possiably do the training that way because what about those who don't like learning football in that manner"

I got my maths degrees by being taught from the off the correct way by 2 excellent teachers through years 7-11.

Ignore assessment for learning and the loosers who promote it - bet you they don't have a 1st - it is a waste of time. They are people who feel power hungry and just want to get people to sing to their tune!

Trust me - I have tried it out over a year. My pupils got higher marks in intrim tests every time when I taught METHOD METHOD METHOD!

P.S = They were also happier! :)

2. Method - Method - Method.

Anyone who says different - ask them what class of degree they have - they won't say 1st Class - that's for sure.

As for those who can't learn in this style - then I;m sorry - but that is maths. They may be better at English or Sports.

But you don't try and train the whole country to be a professional footballer by saying "oh - we can't possiably do the training that way because what about those who don't like learning football in that manner"

I got my maths degrees by being taught from the off the correct way by 2 excellent teachers through years 7-11.

Ignore assessment for learning and the loosers who promote it - bet you they don't have a 1st - it is a waste of time. They are people who feel power hungry and just want to get people to sing to their tune!

Trust me - I have tried it out over a year. My pupils got higher marks in intrim tests every time when I taught METHOD METHOD METHOD!

P.S = They were also happier! :)

3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

Do you even know what assessment for learning is? Also does it not concern you that, using traditional methods, roughly half of all students will get below a grade C in maths? A first class degree (i.e. ability with abstract proof) is of no relevance to the ability to teach well. In fact some suggest there is an inverse relationship.

4. The point of teaching is to make the subject matter accessible to all, as far as possible. No point in saying, "I'm sorry, but that is maths, you may be better at English or football". I don't know what YOUR job is, but mine is to teach maths to all comers. We don't actually have the option of sending them to the sports hall for extra PE instead....

5. Hey

A 1st is ok it does not stop you being a good teacher ... dont worry

6. Joseph Bloggs: allow me to reply as someone who did get a first.

First of all, does it not seem a bit uncouth to you to be "bragging" about your first? I assume you've only recently left university - nobody cares what they got a few years after leaving. Without wishing to descend into a slanging match, your post seems one of the most uneducated I have seen in the two years I have been using this website.

Yes, method is important. It is vital that students can successfully complete basic tasks in an efficient and correct manner. But what happens if they don't undertstand the method, or can't apply it to a range of different scenarios?

I am currently teaching a Year 12 class who were taught from Year 8 by a teacher who just taught method (and not very good methods at that), and the situation these poor kids have been left in is tragic. They can add two fractions, using a cumbersome method, but find it very difficult to apply this to algebraic fractions and will have great difficulty telling you what 33/7 divided by 3 is, without pulling out "the method".

Last year's Year 12 class were a complete contrast - they did understand the maths - and not through mere repition of someone else's method.

As for Assessment for Learning - I am a recent convert to this. I still persist with "old style" marking for some classes (through habit and time constraints), but with those classes where I have swapped to AfL the benefits are noticeable.

I agree with LadsNR, a first does not made you a great teacher. What makes a great teacher (and you may get to be one eventually Bloggsy) is the ability to take on new ideas, analyse them and develop them into something workable for the students you teach.

Oh yes, and lastly, in case no one has bothered to tell you, nowadays First Class Honours degrees are not worth as much as they used to be...

7. Now that you have told us all that you have a 1st, we can all now tell you that you still have a lot to learn!

8. First Class rant Jo!!!!!!!

You will go far..............

......... hopefully

9. nice wind up...

10. An old colleague of mine talking about maths used to say:

"Do it (questions) until you're sick of them. When you are sick of them, you can do them."

11. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Surely Assessment for Learning just means that we assess in a way that helps students to learn - it is part of the teaching and learning process instead of just being a way of recording results. I can't see how anybody can argue that assessment which helps students learn is a bad thing.

I remember (and it was a long time ago) getting back homework with just a mark at the end. If the mark was high, I felt good about it, but it didn't teach me anything. The better teachers even then wrote more helpful things on my work. They didn't call it AfL, but that is what they did.

Could I ask you a question, JosephBloggs? If you have a student who 'can't learn in this style', do you tell them to go away and do English or Sport? My school is rather old-fashioned - they expect me to teach the students in front of me to the best of my ability, whatever style of learning they prefer. And, I've discovered that I feel quite satisfied when I have found a way of helping a student understand something when my first explanation left them baffled.

12. hehe joe,

we have a job going at our place as from xmas... id love you to come and try your genius technique with our kids...theyd eat you alive like.. bit itd be funny to watch.

every teacher has their own method and if it works for them, and pupils are happy then id have no problem.

Personally, i get bored.. and so do our kids.. just teaching method and not much thinking or understanding..and also.. i like to put my FIRST CLASS DEGREE in mathematics education into use.
    i do not have a maths degree, but a degree in how to teach maths...

so stick that up yer pipes and munch it. ;-)

13. there's method, and then there's madness

14. What's a looser, JoeB?

15. it has been a long day.... but what was the point of the op?

16. maths126

maths126 New commenter

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Method - method - method is all very well if the kids want to learn by rote - learn by rote - learn by rote.

I have never been good at that and I find that a lot of the kids I teach aren't. It is much easier to remember how to tackle a problem if you understand why a method works, if you have a range of techniques to draw on and if you know how different bits fit together.

18. *grins* at 126

19. Joe B
    You may have a 1st, wow I'm impressed, but you clearly have an entrenched view of teaching, know little, if anything at all, about learning, and absolutely nothing about what the research tells us about effective teaching of mathematics.
    I hope you're on the wind up, but I fear that you may be for real.
    oh and you're also talking b**llocks about qualifications, mine's a PhD.

20. Jo, get back under your stone.