1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Herbs

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by seagirl, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jamie Oliver has inspired me to start a herb garden. I know nothing about gardening though, so my question is which can grow outside and stay out all year, which need to be brought in over the winter and which are probably best grown indoors? Any other hints and tips please?

Any advice from anyone would be great - thanks

2. Jamie Oliver has inspired me to start a herb garden. I know nothing about gardening though, so my question is which can grow outside and stay out all year, which need to be brought in over the winter and which are probably best grown indoors? Any other hints and tips please?

Any advice from anyone would be great - thanks

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Easy to grow outside:
    Rosemary
    Mint
    Parsley
    Sage
    Chives
    Oregano (once it's been overwintered)
    Thyme
    Best grown inside:
    Basil (although does well outside in warmer parts of the country during the summer)
    Best not bothered with:
    Coriander. I always find homegrown coriander doesn't taste of much and it bolts readily.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

What nick said...but you should grown mint in a container as it will happily take over your garden if you plant it next to otherr plants.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Great suggestions from Nick. I like having a bay bush too. I have heard people say that bay is better to use dried but I have never noticed a significant difference.

6. Hi Seagirl
    I have just started my herb garden for the first time. OH planted seeds but the result is not quick enough for me (am still waiting), so I went to the local farm shop and bought litte, ready established plants, approx £1.49 each. I now have many useable herbs that are all very healthy and that I use daily, while OH's seeds are still growing.

7. Thank you all so much for the advice - really excited now - I am off to the market on Saturday to buy a few plants and will buy some each week - so looking forward to scrummy meals with fresh herbs - yum!

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

At the last house we lived in there was a bay tree in the garden that was well over 12 ft tall - an amazing supply! I...ahem...approriate fresh bay nowadays, from a bush that leans over the front wall of a house at the end of our road...under cover of darkness etc...[​IMG]
    I've also heard many voice their preference for dried bay over fresh, but although the flavour is definitely stronger in dried, I think that fresh bay has a more complex flavour, and I prefer it.
    Thinking about it, I'd say that bay is probably my most indispensible herb. It adds a backnote to so many dishes. It's one of those herbs that works quietly away in the background, so that you don't immediately notice it, but if it weren't there, its absence would be notable.