1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Herald article - Supply Teachers to Strike

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by kibosh, Dec 9, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

3. Ms Tabard is, of course, quite correct in her views, as quoted in the article. Her difficulty may be in getting supply teachers who are in desperate financial straits to withdraw their labour for a week.
    One thing which occurs to me is that we tend to talk of supply teachers as a single body, when there are at least two types of supply teacher - the young, recently qualified teacher who cannot gain full time access to the profession and the retired teacher who does not perhaps need the money as badly as his other supply colleague. Would it be very unfair to pay the retired teachers at the 40% reduced rate and pay their younger colleagues the full and proper rate? I don't know. Perhaps it would not save that much. And doubtless such a system would offend against notions of equal pay for equal work. It would end the accusations one occasionally hears of oldies carpetbagging to pay for the villa in Spain.
    (I write, by the way, as a retired teacher who does supply work).
    ((And I don't have a villa in Spain))

4. The teacher pay scale exists because we work in profession in which experience has significant - although not absolute - correlation with quality (I write as a teacher of three year's experience). Consequently, the labour of a retired supply teacher is worth more. Though it may not always be the case that retired teachers will be better, they may often be worse, it is only right they are paid at the rate they were before retirement.I applaud the people behind this development. The unions should hang their heads in same that they did not come up with the idea first. There has been a marked decline in the availability of supply teachers this year and blame lies solely at the door of the Scottish Government. However, I do fear that the strikers may not be successful.

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

5. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

If retired teachers are paid at 40% of the going rate then it is they who will get to cherry pick the supply jobs because they are 40% cheaper.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Thanks for your support, Andrew. But if you are thinking in black and white terms, then I'm sure many of us share that fear. Success can though, be time dependent, and a destination we push towards, perhaps gaining ground as we travel, rather than a specific point of arrival. You only have to know a small amount of military history to see how it all (the strategy and counter strategy) works. Education is taking big blows; a whole Batallion taken out in one deceptive piece of trickery in April's deal.
    Not fighting at all is accepting utter and total defeat. We might as well hide in our dug-outs. The supply teachers plight is not just about 'us', it's about 'you' too. The SOD is the first wave of an attack on the whole profession. We supply teachers have a part to play in struggling against the powers that don't appear to value Education. Many of us (supply teachers) want to join this profession (for life) and we want it to be in fairly good nick when we eventually get there. Our fight is everyones fight.
    Interestingly enough another article was published yesterday in the Herald -
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/anger-as-4000-scottish-teaching-jobs-lost.16084731

7. This was my response to the supply teacher's survey, I was wanting to support in every way possible but this isn't feasible. I would maybe do it for one day, but not a whole week, just can't physically be done for most people. There would also be the risk that the people who do refuse work all week will not get asked back for work by the schools.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

In the past this would certainly have been the case, not now. I really don't think so. There is a serious shortage of supply (in many schools, not just rural and remote) and anyway the pecking order of supply within any individual school changes all the time. Your position on the pecking order can change at any time and this can work for the good.
    LAs take so long to process the paper work for new supply teachers that many schools are still struggling to get acces to updated supply teacher lists.
    You are ill for a week? . . . . . your phone will be ringing the following week, regardless.

9. We need to stand together. If we want national payscales which reward experience and which don't differentiate between permanent, long term and short term staff then we all need to take action. Asking the most vulnerable and most poorly paid to take action over something which affects all of us (for, make no mistake, this is an attack on the professionalism of teachers and the very concept of national payscales) seems cowardly.

10. Totally agree, Airy! If supply teachers do strike, does that mean the classes they would have been teaching can't be covered by other teachers in the case of regular/longer term supply positions? Wish we had been striking about this at the time, think lack of action has now led to threat to national payscales because unions didn't defend national payscales for ALL at the time.

11. Yup.

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yes. It really feels, to me at any rate, that the 'little' people are converging, rallying round, for some Gullivers Travels type action.