1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Helping non-English speakers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tiger8, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Try Mantra Lingua for dual language books. Their dictionaries are good. Beware of relying on google translate as it doesn't always come out as you expect although it can be useful for odd words and phrases. Look at 'A Language in Common' - DFES document or the extended NASSEA level descriptors. You should be able to download these. Use lots of visual cues and pre-teach key vocabulary. There are also a lot of dual language resources available free on the internet from Bury, Bradford and some of the London Boroughs. NALDIC has a good website. Newbury Park language of the month is also useful.

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

You're right - don't give up on him. Besides anything it is such a delight having a bright kid to work with! Is there any chance you can use Communicate:In Print with the symbol support? Instructions in English + symbols where helpful will give visual cues. It is text-to-speech so he can listen to the text several times with headphones - the voice is quite good. This would aid reading fluency and getting the meaning. I have put quite a few ideas for reading for meaning in my resources - mainly designed for younger kids but could give you ideas. See the index of what I have on TES at http://languageisheartosay.com