1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Helping my TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by doctorinthetardis, Nov 16, 2011.

1. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Hi,
    I'm really struggling to work effectively with my TA. I really want to help her but I'm finding it very hard. She is very, very, very slow, to do anything, working with the children, doing simple jobs like displays/ backing... If I give her something simple to back, say for portfolios, it can take her up to 3 weeks, no exaggeration (and this is like 20/ 25 simple sentences to cut out and back) ... I simply can't wait that long for work to be prepared so I end up just doing it myself. When I ask her to work with the children, in groups, she misreads the planning and does the wrong activity ... she doesn't give me anything back in terms of communication , ever, no comments about the children, she doesn't ask if something isn't clear so then she ends up just doing whatever she thinks I meant, which means yesterday she ended up sending the wrong books back to the library.I have told her on several occasions, that if something is not clear to her, to please just ask, but she does not. I am at a point where I am struggling to give her any role/ responsibilities in my classroom because for the whole period since the beginning of this year, she has made so many mistakes, I cannot trust her to do anything important, even taking some letter from parent for example to the secretary because I have asked her before to do this, and it never got there!
    I want to help her succeed in her job and feel successful in what she is doing, but despite my line manager talking to her, raising these concerns, nothing is changing. She is also late every single day. Please help! I have tried talking to her about these things, several times, and there is simply no improvement. I am extremely busy every day and the quality of my teaching and learning is being affected because if we are doing group work, I have to stop my activities to go over and help support her in doing what she is supposed to be doing ... arrrggghHHh!

2. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Hi,
    I'm really struggling to work effectively with my TA. I really want to help her but I'm finding it very hard. She is very, very, very slow, to do anything, working with the children, doing simple jobs like displays/ backing... If I give her something simple to back, say for portfolios, it can take her up to 3 weeks, no exaggeration (and this is like 20/ 25 simple sentences to cut out and back) ... I simply can't wait that long for work to be prepared so I end up just doing it myself. When I ask her to work with the children, in groups, she misreads the planning and does the wrong activity ... she doesn't give me anything back in terms of communication , ever, no comments about the children, she doesn't ask if something isn't clear so then she ends up just doing whatever she thinks I meant, which means yesterday she ended up sending the wrong books back to the library.I have told her on several occasions, that if something is not clear to her, to please just ask, but she does not. I am at a point where I am struggling to give her any role/ responsibilities in my classroom because for the whole period since the beginning of this year, she has made so many mistakes, I cannot trust her to do anything important, even taking some letter from parent for example to the secretary because I have asked her before to do this, and it never got there!
    I want to help her succeed in her job and feel successful in what she is doing, but despite my line manager talking to her, raising these concerns, nothing is changing. She is also late every single day. Please help! I have tried talking to her about these things, several times, and there is simply no improvement. I am extremely busy every day and the quality of my teaching and learning is being affected because if we are doing group work, I have to stop my activities to go over and help support her in doing what she is supposed to be doing ... arrrggghHHh!

3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Goodness what a patient person you sound.
    I would say the same...give her simple written instructions and a deadline.If it is not completed ask her what she found difficult.Has she had any training and has she ever worked as a TA before?
    I think if you then sit down and speak with her and nothing changes then you would have to have a chat with whoever is responsible for the TAs.It isn't fair on you but most of all it isn't fair on the children.

4. nessyville

nessyville New commenter

"She is also late every single day"
    This is totally not acceptable. If this were an office job she would of been fired by now. Her demeanour is letting down you and the children. I suggest your raise this with your SMT and keep a record. Make a list of the things you need doing, with a deadline next to them and display it where she can see it everyday, explaining that you are helping her to keep a record of what needs to be done.
    If that doesnt work then at least you will have evidence to support your frustration and take them further. How much longer can SMT put up with it if its affecting the childrens education this much?