1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Helping children to write a short story?

Discussion in 'English' started by kayjewkes, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm currently a GTP student and having a bit of difficulty.
    I'm planning for my children to write a short story at the end of next week, which is the end result of the unit I am doing.
    I'm in Year5/6 class, but children are working at Yr3/4 level, and the unit is Authors and texts.
    I've so far got them to look at the works of Roald Dahl and keep a reading journal for the first week. However, as part of their final assessment they need to write this short story completely independently.
    So my problem is... how much help can I give them this week in leading up to this piece of writing?
    Do you think I should give them a plan to follow all week? Keeping in mind, they are only allowed to recall information instead of using it to help them write on the day.
    Or should I work on key features for their stories in relation to how Roald Dahl's books are structured? Even assuming that on the day, the children will completely forget what we have done?
    I have already delved into key features of a fiction text generally and the main focus so far has been on getting the children to discuss, respond and produce their thoughts from what they have read.
    I'm just a bit confused, and overthinking it maybe?
    Any suggestions?

2. Hi, I'm currently a GTP student and having a bit of difficulty.
    I'm planning for my children to write a short story at the end of next week, which is the end result of the unit I am doing.
    I'm in Year5/6 class, but children are working at Yr3/4 level, and the unit is Authors and texts.
    I've so far got them to look at the works of Roald Dahl and keep a reading journal for the first week. However, as part of their final assessment they need to write this short story completely independently.
    So my problem is... how much help can I give them this week in leading up to this piece of writing?
    Do you think I should give them a plan to follow all week? Keeping in mind, they are only allowed to recall information instead of using it to help them write on the day.
    Or should I work on key features for their stories in relation to how Roald Dahl's books are structured? Even assuming that on the day, the children will completely forget what we have done?
    I have already delved into key features of a fiction text generally and the main focus so far has been on getting the children to discuss, respond and produce their thoughts from what they have read.
    I'm just a bit confused, and overthinking it maybe?
    Any suggestions?

3. Fundamentally the only way to learn to write is to do lots of it.
    Children should regularly be writing little stories. Then it won't be a problem when they're asked to do it under assessed conditions.

4. Yes, if you think about it, it's all about learning genres. We all do it. We know what's expected in a story, a job application, how to install windows, a recipe, a CV, an SMS...etc...
    They're all different in style and can only be learnt by exposure and practice. Grammar doesn't help much at all.