1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Helping a Y6 EFL child - grateful for any advice!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Coll33n, May 8, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am currently volunteering with an African community group - I usually run English lessons for primary or secondary school children there. I got into it as I'm training to be a primary teacher from September 2011 and thought it would be useful experience as there are a fair few schools in the area with a high volume of children who speak English as a second language.

Most of the children I usually teach have been born in England but need additional support with their English as their parents speak very little to none.

Next Saturday they have asked me to do some one on one work with a Y6 girl who has only been in the country for 6 months and her English is at level 2 rather than 3 so her school aren't putting her in for the English SAT papers. I will be browsing these forums/resources but wondered if anyone could recommend anything in particular I could do to help her? I have experience of tutoring one on one before but never with a child at this level. She is very bright but her confidence is low and think something creative would really help her but I'm not entirely sure how to approach it!

Any advice on activities or sites providing useful worksheets would be really appreciated!

Thanks

2. Hi. We took our kids on a walk around the school imagining that they were from another country and had never seen sand, date trees etc. They had never felt a warm sun or experienced its brightness before (we live in the UAE!). On the walk they were to use words to describe what they were experiencing (using all 5 senses) and make notes in a brainstorm. On the walk we encouraged the children to talk and we introduced new vocabulary where there was little or none.
    Back in the class the children wrote down their experiences. It was really useful for using descriptive words and improving the children's vocabulary. Then we went on to looking at their grammar - baby steps!!!
    Liz