1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Helping a parent with a broken hip

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by dodie102, Jul 2, 2018.

1. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

Hello Tesers,

I was wondering if any of you had some practical tips on how I can help my mother who lives over 120 miles away with a broken hip. She's currently in hospital in Yorkshire which is also hundreds of miles away from both her home and mine - she fell down the stairs on holiday and should have an op tomorrow and perhaps a transfer back to her own county later in the week. My school is being very kind but I'm under strict instructions from my parents to see how things pan out before visiting.

I was just thinking really about what she'll need when she's discharged. She doesn't have a ground floor bathroom/toilet at home and that's worrying me.

To top it all I've just moved and my house is full of boxes and not an ideal place for her to recuperate.

I'm in a bit of state to be honest.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well first off, enquire if they have a 'post-hospital discharge' 28 day recuperation at a local Nursing Home. They won't advertise this and I know some PCTs have stopped or reduced the length of stay, but it's definitely worth enquiring.
    That will include physio and care whilst she's recovering.
    @dodie102 .If you phone the Red Cross, they will usually loan you a commode or any other aids your mother may need. You sign a form and agree to return the articles and I think they will then refund any deposit you pay. Or at least part of such. It's a while back since we did it.

If you post on this thread you may get a few more replies too. The original title was 'rant and advice' spot and although I mention Alzheimers I did look after other relatives without Dementia and it really covers any 'elderly parents problems'.

3. dodie102

Thank you Lara mfl 05. Those are sound ideas.

Luckily my mother works for a GP who is already in touch and assisting. Just playing text hockey with my dad at the moment who is heading back to the holiday 'cottage'. Not a cottage at all it turns out and partly a factor in my mum's fall.

I suppose I'll have a clearer idea of what to do when I actually speak to my dad after she's had the operation this afternoon and get the full details.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

4. Lara mfl 05

If you check on that link there's a couple of other replies already there for you too @dodie102.

5. Lara mfl 05

Do check the link @dodie102 a, quite a few more replies now, including one from someone who now works in the Health Service.

6. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I've had both my hips replaced but I don't know if the precautions would be the same for your mum. Generally, chairs, beds etc need to be elevated so that you don't bend your hip at too sharp an angle because it might dislocate (may not be the case for your situation). In my case the physios came out to elevate my bed but not the chairs/sofas, a friend did that for me. You have to be careful when you are seated that you don't lean forward to say pick something up from a coffee table.

I would imagine she'll be discharged with crutches - more stable than a walking stick - if not decent ones can be bought from Amazon. Also grabbers, to pick items up with from the floor. It is difficult to stop yourself from doing bendy things as you are so used to doing them automatically, without thinking. A plastic bag on the passenger seat can help with swivelling when she gets in and out of the car. The district nurse comes to take the stitches out in what seems like a very short period of time - 10 days? - but it should have healed by then. Obviously, clear away any trip hazard such as rugs etc, at home, not worth the risk.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. dodie102

Thank you both for your replies.

frangipani123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Twinkle_toes

Twinkle_toes New commenter

I have broken my hip before and have also had it replaced.
    The red cross are brilliant and can lend all sorts of gadgets to help - a shower stool was such a help for me personally.
    Would recommend a flask too with a long strap as this can be carried with crutches and lasts quite awhile!
    I hope your mum is up and about soon.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

This is a brilliant idea @Twinkle_toes :). Not just for anybody with a broken hip, but for anyone elderly using a walking frame or trolley.

10. dodie102

Thank you Twinkle_toes. My mother was very grumpy yesterday but better today. I think the fact that they are so far away from home is playing on their minds. I've been told not to even think about visiting until next weekend - wherever that may be! The physio mentioned a rehabilitation unit near the hospital but that seems bananas as then my dad can't see her as it's over 270 miles away. I just feel terrible that I haven't seen her.

11. Lara mfl 05

Put a sensible head on. Would you normally feel guilty that you hadn't seen your mother if she'd had something like a cold? Presumably the comment.
    comes from your parents?

A hip replacement isn't (generally at least) dangerous, so don't let yourself be 'guilted' about a situation out of your control. She's safe and making good progress it seems. Even if you were there, there's probably nothing more you could do.

12. dodie102

You are correct Lara mfl - that was a direct instruction from my father. Quite welcome actually as we've just moved house a week ago and it's my daughter's birthday party this weekend and I've got to take my son to a chess tournament. It never rains but it pours... Luckily my other half is a brilliant husband and father and helps massively.
    Trying to take it day by day.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

So true, everything always seems to come at once. ;) Good you have a supportive husband too. I know I probably would have gone under without mine. :D

Keep remembering that and if you do feel the need do pop over to what I and others refer to as 'the other thread' the one devoted to 'Coping with Elderly Parents', if you need advice or just need to 'off-load' from someone other than someone near and know that no matter how awful what you feel is, there's lots of us who 'walked the road ahead' and will understand completely.

We also have an unwritten rule, that you never have to apologise for whatever you feel.;)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  14. Twinkle_toes

Twinkle_toes New commenter

Its so hard trying to balance everything - i often feel like the plates i'm juggling are about to crash at any second!
    My parents live 200 miles away (I moved in Sept for work) and I worry massively about being able to visit them and being there if anything was to happen (touch wood it wont).
    The rehab places are brilliant at getting independence - your Mum will be running around soon!
    Hope you had a good busy weekend :)

dodie102 and Lara mfl 05 like this.