1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Helping a Child Cope with Grief

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by ekearney, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!
    Our junior school recently found out that a former student passed away tragically over the weekend. We are all quite shaken up about it, but my major cause for concern is that his sister is a child in my class (Year 5). I am currently seeking advice as to how to best prepare myself and the rest of the class to best support her when she returns to school. I have conducted reseach on various ways to help, including downloading quite a bit of material from the fantastic charity Winston's Wish. I have watched Teacher's TV programs, completed an NC PSHE lesson how to teach children to support class members dealing with loss and have canvassed for ideas from my colleagues. All of these outlets have been helpful, but none of the situations matched the current situation of the child in my class (ie. a sibling who has died tragically).
    As a result, I was hoping that this forum might be able to connect me with someone/people who have had experience in this area and who might be willing to share how they were able to deal with this situation. What was successful and what should be avoided at all costs?
    I have not been able to locate a thread on this particular subject yet, but if you do know of an alternative, please let me know!
    Thanks in advance!
    Em

2. Have you tried the Little Book of Bereavement for Schools? I've only looked at snippets, but that may be useful.