1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Helpful tips for a new TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by pyrenee, Jun 4, 2018.

1. pyrenee

pyrenee New commenter

Hi all, I have just started work as a primary school TA. I wondered if anybody had any tips, advice, general insight etc to help out. Thank you!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations on your new job!
    • Try to arrive in the classroom 10 minutes before your start time; this will give the class teacher time to update you about the day
    • As well as supporting the children, make sure you are listening carefully when the teacher is whole-class teaching - you will learn so much
    • At first, you will work under the direction of the teacher all the time, but try to pick up on the 'class routines' and you will get to know what happens at set times each day and be ready to support
    • Learn the class reward and sanction systems; take you cue about behaviour management from the class teacher - you need to be working as a team
    • Get to know the other TAs - they will be great allies and a mine of information
    • If you are full time, have lunch in the staff room; mixing socially will ensure you quickly become 'one of the team'
    • Always ask if you are unsure (even if you think you've been told about something before, but have forgotten). It's all new to you and will take a while. School staff, although always busy, are generally very friendly and never mind being asked for help and advice.
    You can always post again with specific queries. Good luck and enjoy your new adventure!

Trekkie, Gsr25 and p_uamart like this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Never judge and never assume ! Though I would offer this advice to all colleagues ! . Listen and ask for clarification when necessary. Familiarise yourself with policy docs and know are whom you are answerable. Watching effective practioners always useful too !

cys2017 likes this.
  4. pyrenee

pyrenee New commenter

Thank you so much!

5. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Be as proactive as you can

6. Really helpful, thanks!!