1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Helpful' comments by class teachers?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

This is a bit tongue in cheek as I work 'full time' hours on supply and majority of that is with lovely colleagues who treat you like regular staff and are friendly and positive. This is after a random afternoon with year 6 from hell and it made me ponder of the 'off the cuff' comments that class teachers or other school staff sometimes say, in a misguided attempt to be 'helpful' when you've had the occasional day form hell! From talking to a few other teachers they do seem to be quite common though and while there's the chance that most just don't realise what they're saying, I've had a few who do subtly try to 'put the boot in' to feed their own egos, while appearing 'philosophical!'

"They're not NORMALLY like that!" ( you ***** know they are because I've just seen the Head talking to a few of them about something else/with someone else!)
    Thankfully, no longer hear this one but used to get ( from TA's)

"You're not USUALLY like this with Mr x, Mrs Y..." speaking directly to the children in front of you and highlighting the fact that rather than respecting ANY adult teaching or helping them, their behaviour can be 'excused' because you'r e a supply teacher.

"They usually get TA'S to cover rather than Teachers" ( special school)

and the cherry on the top today;

"They're actually better for me!" - yeh well thanks for that one then! o_O:p

What gems have you heard? :rolleyes:

2. Tess2006

Tess2006 New commenter

Had the same thing happen today with year 6. I think the TAs think they are being helpful. It doesn't happen to me often, but it is annoying when it does.

agathamorse, pepper5 and BetterNow like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

"They are a lovely group"...LOL

4. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

Whilst I agree this must be horrible for supply teachers to hear, I think it’s also it’s pretty common amongst teachers in general in all secondary schools. Feels like they want to get one up on you:

“You have problems with 8A2 (class)? They’re always good for me.”

“X (student) can be tricky, but I’ve got a really good relationship with him/ her.” Etc.

All really helpful comments when you’ve had the lesson from hell and are in tears in the staff room- obviously!

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I had the opposite experience on Tuesday from a TA. We were discussing the day and she said that they were so well behaved ... just like they were for the class teacher.

I am taking it as a compliment!

6. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

The most unsupportive comment I ever had was when teaching in a perm post. I called for support with a student who was completely out of control, refusing to engage and starting fights. The person who came said "but this is a lovely student! I know their dad! If only you would speak to this student like I do, you would find you have no problems at all! " And that was in front of the class. And the d***head SLT who flounced out of a lesson observation I'd assiduously prepared for, saying that as it was a voluntary revision lesson during study leave (he'd been told that, as he wanted an exam class and it was all that was available), if he stayed he would have to grade it is as inadequate because as not every student had turned up, I had "failed to engage" them, despite those who there were being enthusiastic. It was, incredibly to me at least, about those not there, not those who were.
    And so, any dear readers reading this post, those guys have climbed the slippery SLT pole and I am on supply. Where of course, the favourite, from my last assignment, is "but you guys always behave brilliantly for me! Just try to do it for the supply ... please" However, in my first daily job at a very challenging school, a little girl put her hand amidst the mayhem and whispered to me, when I went over "It's always like this, sometimes worse. It's not because of you". It rescued my day

7. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

There is one comment I had a few times that can be a doubke edged sword: “You need to watch out for [student X] and [student Y]”. Whilst often helpful, I found on occasion that I focussed too much on them and I blew the smallest indiscretion by them out of proportion, leading to a confrontation because of their reputation/attitude. I often turned around when someone started iffering that advice and said something like “don’t let me know, I’m sure they’ll soon make themselves known”.

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Yes, far better to be told something like ' there are one or two awkward customers, but you'll soon work out who they are', thereby trusting your judgement and experience.

Flowers19, Tess2006, pepper5 and 3 others like this.
  9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Another "helpful" comment is "They know what they are doing and will just get on with it". Sometimes this is true but more often then not the class will claim ignorance.

Another time I had a German lesson to cover, foolishly the absent teacher had written the work to be done in German. Since the only German words I know are Messerschmitt and Heinkel the instructions left made no sense to me. However despite being year 11 and having studied German for several years the class seemed to know even less then me. Odd that :confused:.

Jesmond12, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I remember on a school placement in training year being told countless times 'you won't have any problems here' and 'if you can't cope here you won't cope anywhere'. And it was carp. Easily the worst of my 3 placement schools.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  11. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Here's another standard comment I hear in places, well, I can't frame it but it's things along the lines of our kids here are special, different to other kids.... Blah de blah de blah once they know you they're fine.....

Right, that's no excuse and doesn't help if I'm here today gone tomorrow.

Now, here is a real life useful comment or few,
    This teacher is coming to visit us and help us out, so you treat them kind.

I like that, it shows appreciation for what you are doing and reinforces rules allowing no excuses. Can't stand it when staff excuse the rudeness because you're only there for a day or two. Ha ha, in that case let em treat the Ofsted like that when they're only. There for a day or two.

12. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

This post reminds me of something I read on a social media site recently. Someone had gone into a school and the teacher was "helpfully" telling this person how to do the register. "You say good morning, and they say good morning back." !!!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  13. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

Taught a class recently where I was told "They're a lovely group, absolutely love them, not a bad bone in any of them, you'll have a lovely day." What I had was a day of endless attempts to talk over me and constantly trying to lower the noise level combined with a fair bit of "miss, he's doing this" and "she's doing that" - the only time they were quiet was when they were doing practice tests, blessed relief. The teacher returned at the end of the day - "How were they?" "Well, it's been interesting," I said. "Let me guess - they were loud and they were talking over you? And X had a problem with Y?" he said.

Sounds like he knew them well enough (though rather contradictory to the morning's heads up!) A colleague of his said "he always thinks they're lovely in the morning, but he's changed his mind by home time when they've wound him up all day"!

Jesmond12, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.