1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Helpers in classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sara2323, Nov 20, 2011.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I have had two college students in the classroom for the past few days- they have completed all the tasks set by the college . Most of their time is now spent observing and helping with snacks, reading, tidying etc but I feel that I can use their help in more creative ways then simply tidying and sharpening pencils!
    I did ask them to make some resources for maths but as an NQT I'm not sure what other resources they could make (Year 2 class). If you have students/parent helpers in your classroom what sort of things do you ask them to do?

2. Why not ask them if there is anything they would like to do? I had the same with a very capable young man. He set up a treasure hunt outside for the children - my original suggestion but he took it on. Designed a map of the school grounds the children could use and read; laminated it; then put letters around the ground which spelt out a word; gave clues for children to use the map; then off they went.
    This young man was 15 and on work experience - I wish him luck in whatever he wants to do but he probably won't need it.
    If, as your post suggests, they are college students, they really should have some ideas themselves.

3. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks Irulan-he does seem like a very capable young man! My students will help when asked- but most of the time seem to prefer sitting and observing me which does get a bit nerve wrecking at times as I end up with 3 adults and 30 children watching me!
    Your right though it's probably because I've not asked if they would like to do anything creative with the children- I'll try tomorrow and see if this works.[​IMG]

4. Do I understand you right? Are these teaching training students? I assumed that it was more like the work experience lad I had. If that is the case, I don't understand why you as an NQT have got them in your classroom. No wonder you find it nerve-wracking!
    Have you got a project on the go? Sewing or making something. They could take this over and work with a small group until they've got through the whole class. It means that you get something done which would take you ages, and they're off your back with another thing to write up for their course. I had a fairly useless 17 year old one afternoon a week - no initiative, don't really know why she came in. In the end, I gave her the job of taking photographs of the children with their completed project, then printing them all out and putting them in their books. Kept her occupied and saved me a job.
    Good luck!