1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Elaine77, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Elaine77

Elaine77 New commenter

Hi

I am presently teaching in Further Education and have an interview for an Independent school. They want me to bring my QTS certificate. In Further Education we do not get QTLS but can teach . I have completed my PGCE in FE in 2009. I have looked at the below link

https://set.et-foundation.co.uk/professionalism/gaining-qtls/apply-for-qtls/

Since the interview is next week I am panicking as I have bring my certificates.
    My question is - shall I contact the school and explain ?
    Do you think it would affect my application?
    If I was successful would they pay me NQT salary?

Many thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Start now the process for getting your certificate, and just explain, when you get there, that it is in the pipeline.

Q2 It will depend entirely on the school. Some schools insist on QTS, some don't - they are not legally obliged to require it. Did they specify it in the Person Specification when you applied?

Q3 They will pay you whatever they like! But they are unlikely to go down to NQT salary on a pure technicality such as this.

Unless they are very badly off. :(

How much will I earn in the independent sector?

Have you found all the Indy advice articles, by the way? And the interview advice ones? Tag me @TheoGriff if you need to be shown where they are.

Best wishes

3. Elaine77

Elaine77 New commenter

Hi Theo

Many thanks for your response.
    I would need to do a course to gain my QTLS and there are cut off dates. I am happy to do this if they insist . I ticked "Qualified teaching status" on the application form as technically, I am a qualified teacher. There was no person spec only a job description which was about the department and they were looking for qualified /NQT teacher. They have read and application form and offered me an interview so they know I am from FE background.

Do you think I should explain it to them before my interview?

Thanks

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not quite sure how you count as qualified . . . who gave you that information? If you have neither QTS nor QTLS . . .

Anyway, I suggest that you just turn up and explain that you have the FE Teaching qualification. take that certificate with you.

That way, at least you'll get to the school, and may wow them so much that they are quite relaxed about the QTS.

Best wishes

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Do you have the degree status they want? I only ask as I know a few people who taught English at FE level who would not have been accepted to teach in schools, as they wouldn't have known it at a high enough level. I'm not saying this applies to you, but some of the people I know who taught basic FS well would not have completed an A-level in English.

6. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

This is pretty much what I did. Did an FE PGCE and went for a job interview at an independent school - more fromr interest than anything. Got the job - was a one year maternity cover, but then got another job in the independent sector and retired 28 years later! Was never asked to do a qualifying year, and because I had worked in industry for several years was started high up on the pay scale.

7. Elaine77

Elaine77 New commenter

Thank you for the advice. Did you teach in FE? If so, how did you find the two different environments?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Are you asking me?

Yes, I got to Vice Principal in FE. Obviously the major difference is the age of the pupils, different discipline and pastoral issues, as well as adapting the teaching to the age groups.

Best wishes