1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Bath-girl, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Bath-girl

Bath-girl New commenter

Please help
    I'm a third year student on my final teaching placement.
    I recently had my last observation and received outstanding which I've received for the past two years.
    Two days ago two mediators came in to observe a lesson which they've deemed as inaduquate . I have not had constructive feedback.
    I've been told they will be coming back on Monday.
    Has anyone else experienced this. Advice please

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

How did you feel the lesson two days ago went? Can you see a reason why it may have been judged not as good as other lessons you've taught? Or do you think it was quite similar to other lessons you've taught?

3. Bath-girl

Bath-girl New commenter

Hi
    I actually thought it went well.
    The only difference was the end was a little rushed therefore I didn't expect an outstanding but would have been more than happy with a good.
    I can't believe I've gone from outstanding to inadequate in a week. I'm very concerned I won't pass my last placement then where do I stand?

4. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

What did they say was inadequate about it? Ask for some constructive feedback. it may just have been one thing and something you can easily improve.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You do not fail teaching on the basis of one lesson observation. Part of the problem is that lesson observations for trainee teachers are graded at outstanding or good- anything else is a requires improvement. By the way there is a difference between requires improvement- and inadequate. Inadequate means serious failings. You need clear WRITTEN feedback in order to then understand what the issues are.

6. Bath-girl

Bath-girl New commenter

My very first observation in my first year was good. Since then I've had outstanding. This has been given to me on all my placements. I would understand if it was by one observer but as well as my uni tutor I've had 3 different teachers on 3 different placements.
    My folders have also been used as an example of outstanding folders.
    I was observed the week before last and again deemed outstanding.
    The moderators came in and literally said my whole lesson was inaduquate including my folders. How can I go from outstanding to inaduquate in less than a week.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You don't go from outstanding to inadequate even if you have a bad lesson. You shouldn't ever put too much focus on one lesson - you need to look at your overall strengths and weaknesses as a beginning teacher. It must hit your confidence to be told there is a problem but you need to speak to your course tutors about this and not let one bad judgement have such an impact on your sense of yourself as a teacher. I hope today went well and you got some proper constructive feedback.

8. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I regularly observe trainee teachers and expect and accept that the lesson I see is not usually representative of the overall progress they are making. Trainee teachers get nervous, they are not used to being observed and they often think they need to produce the 'all singing and all dancing' lesson - which is more likely to go pear shaped. This is why it is essential to have a portfolio of broad evidence from other sources, particularly observations from a mentor and other experienced teachers, to evidence that that one snapshot was not representative of overall progress.

9. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter