1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!

Discussion in 'English' started by Cg6432, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Cg6432

Cg6432 New commenter

I was wondering if you could give me some guidance.
    I work in a secondary school catering mainly to BESD, Adhd and ASD students, and we are looking at expanding our options regarding KS4.
    Currently we have a number of students doing Functional Skills English but I am hoping to start doing GCSEs with the current year 9s next academic year.
    Can pupils be entered in for just English Language (with some students that are capable doing English Literature, and giving options for other students a less demanding English based course)?

Imho, I don't feel that functional skills is engaging enough.

2. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

They can be entered for English Language without Literature. It just means that the GCSE will not be double counted for the purposes of progress 8. (If pupils are dual entered the best score counts twice) I imagine in your context that is less important than in a mainstream setting. I agree with you about FS. I'm sure you are aware that the new GCSEs are more demanding - that's something to consider given your intake. Good luck!

3. Cg6432

Cg6432 New commenter

Thank you, fineliner.

4. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

Similar setting to you. Frustratingly, our management won't let us do Lang without Lit, though I firmly believe it would be more appropriate for many of our students. Considering your student profile, do bear in mind the exam requirements for the new GCSEs - our students have very little resilience when it comes to exams and one of my biggest concerns about being required to enter our students for both the Lang & Lit new GCSEs is the number and length of exams. (Might depend on your exam board, but we are restricted, and the new GCSEs are something like 7-9 hours of exams, compared to 2 hours of written exams, plus S&L, for FS!)