1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by newteach2014, Nov 27, 2015.

1. newteach2014

newteach2014 New commenter

Not really sure why I'm posting but thought maybe some more experienced teachers could give some advice/help. After starting on supply I completed the majority of my NQT last year, good observations and worked really hard, but found it incredibly stressful. Getting into work early , arriving home late, working all evening and weekends and crying a lot! because of all the pressure and stress,. However I still enjoyed the day to day lessons in the classroom with the kids and I knew the school recognised my hard work and thought highly of me. I left because I was relocating and got a great reference from my head teacher. Found a new position but within a few days workload was piling up and found I couldn't cope with it already, within a month there was an ofstead inspection and I got some very negative feedback. I've always been a worrier, but this just pushed me over the edge and I left rather than carry on to complete my NQT. The thing is I know deep down I am a decent teacher, albeit still learning, comments from placements when I was training and my previous school prove this. I think I just need to take a break, do some supply or a completely different job for the rest of this school year and apply for jobs begining in September. Was just wondering if any other people have ever been through this?

2. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Hello, it's probably a good idea to complete the NQT year sooner rather than later. It is a hard year, but it really would be a shame not to get it completed - especially if you have already done the majority of it. Then you can think longer term. If you decide that teaching is not for you, at least you will always have your ticket if you want to return in the future. Or even teach abroad. Once completed, it will provide you with a lot of options.

Supply has its own advantages and drawbacks. It's definitely good for getting experience of different schools and for keeping your hand in education. You may even complete the rest of induction this way. You might even find a nice school that you would like to work in. However, you can also end up in schools that are not so pleasant, with the worst behaved classes. It will expose you to both sides of the coin.

It's a bit of a lottery, but it does provide valuable experience of different schools and how they operate. However, it will require a lot of resilience. The upside is that if you are just doing short term supply then you won't have to worry about marking etc. If you decide to use agencies, make sure to negotiate a decent daily rate and don't let them exploit you. Agencies can be pushy and will try and get the best deals for themselves. It's good to be flexible when using them, but don't let them take advantage.

Lastly, try not to worry so much. You know you're a decent teacher. Everyone is always learning. I dare say that the day you think you know it all is the day you need to stop. Look after yourself, get the NQT year done and consider your options from there. Hope that helps.

Best wishes

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  3. newteach2014

newteach2014 New commenter

Thankyou for your reply indusant. I did a days supply last week with the same year group I taught last year and enjoyed it. I only have one term left, so hopefully I can possibly get somewhere to do that before next September. My flatmate is currently training as a teacher and I'm enjoying helping him, so I'm pretty sure it's still what i want to do, I know I just need to not worry as much. I just hope that if I don't get the final term done before September, that it won't stop future schools from taking me on, especially if I've had to take a different job to earn some money.

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

In the past I've been a full time teacher and also done supply teaching. I found with supply teaching that the children just looked on me as a "fill in teacher" and someone they could play up. I soon gave this up and went back to full time teaching. I was fortunate because I taught students in Colleges of Further Education, though, and they only came to me to gain skills and qualifications that would get them work. They had a real incentive for coming and often did loads of work at home. If you should think of changing your work, please do consider teaching in Colleges of Further Education. The situation is very different. I may add that I seldom had more than 20 in a classroom - although things may be different now. Evening classes are nice to take. You meet some wonderful adults who are keen to get better work than they're doing. Good luck. I hope my advice is good and worth considering. Josie

Rozario123 likes this.