1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Colaaddict, Jun 27, 2012.

1. I am all set to study with the OU starting in October to run alongside my voluntary placement and my other paid job. However today the DH told me a vacancy has come about and asked if I would be interested. The job is full time, but only temp, it's to support a child 1:1 for the next 3 years. I work 18 hours in my other job in the evenings and weekend, I'm considering dropping some hours to do this.

What should I do? Carry on voluntering, do the OU and keep my paid hours at my other job.
    Or... Delay doing the OU, drop some hours from my current paid job and work full time in school and do a few evening shifts maybe 10 a week instead of the 18

Really not sure because of the current climate, but this sees like a brilliant opportunity!

Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. It IS a brilliant opportunity - one many others would give their right arm for!!
    If it were me, I would give up the evening job, take the 1:1 job and study in the evenings. At the end of the three years you will be experienced and qualified!
    Wren

3. Thanks wren! Can always rely on you for a lovely answer, that's why I love this forum! I have worked at my current job for 4 years, I don't particularly enjoy it love working in school. The problem I have is after this job finishes in three years I will be left looking for work at the age of 24. I'm still 21 but sacred to take a risk especially with the current climate haha

4. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Have you paid the old rate for the OU course, or the new one? If you paid the old rate, I would seriously consider carrying on with it because you'll never get that rate again.
    I've just finished an OU degree while working full time, although not in the evening. It does take commitment if you want to do it well, but it's been worth it for me.
    Good luck.

5. I haven't paid anything yet, I'm waiting for my loan application! So I have opportunity to opt out before October! So difficult don't kow what to do! :)

6. Thought I would share my experiences. I did NVQ level 2 STLS whlst volunteering a couple of years ago. I also added on maths and english qualifications. This worked well when I was only in a placement part time and had plenty of time to study.
    Then I was lucky enough to land a permanent contract at my local school. I am now studying for level 3 STLS. Managing my time is really tough now, all the volunteers or part time workers doing it are keeping up but I am woefully behind despite plugging away.
    However, I have 3 kids and they are all doing exams/applying for uni/jobs etc so perhaps I just timed it wrong this time.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

7. I absolutely agree with Wren. 3 years is a long time and by the time it is finished you will have all that experience plus qualifications if you study in the evenings too! Good luck.

8. [​IMG]
    I am <whispers> 38!! I have just applied for and got a L4 TA job after volunteering fro 2 years and supplying for 2 terms.
    Do not worry about looking for work at 24. By then you will be three more years worldly wise as well.
    Good luck with the OU course, I did it a couple of years ago and loved it. If you need any pointers, inbox me.
    [​IMG]
    Wren

9. The only thing that would worry me is that 1 to 1 jobs can stop very quickly if the child moves schools and your contract with it. I would get yourself qualified and stick with your old job.

10. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

To get the opportunity to work for three years is excellent. Unfortunately taking this opportunity is a chance to have to weigh up. All I will say is that I started in my present job (and same school) 19 years ago on a temporary basis working with SEN child. I knew all along it would most likely end at some point when the child left school but things worked out well...new children coming in to school that needed support and then being offered a permanent contract supporting in class. I embarked on an OU course and just finished my final module for an honours degree this year. I did this whilst working full time too. It is tough, as you have to be totally committed, organised and willing to put the time in. But I have gained so much experience, got my self a level 4 qualification along the way (which is reflected in my salary) and am so glad I completed my degree. The way I would look at it is that even t5hough you have a settled job nobody knows what the future holds and anyone can find them selves out of work with restructuring of companies. so go with your gut feelings.