1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FSharp, May 2, 2012.

1. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

I am moving to London in June and thought that I would be able to get the School bus into School as currently I am getting a lift. I had not thought that this would be a problem, but it is I am not guaranteed a space on the school bus and I will have to pay full price. Which means at any time of the year I may not be able to get into school. The School is in the middle of no where so using public transport is not an option.
    I am considering handing in my notice at the end of the summer term and looking for another job at Christmas. If something does not come up I thought I could always do cover work.
    What are peoples thoughts on this?

2. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

I am moving to London in June and thought that I would be able to get the School bus into School as currently I am getting a lift. I had not thought that this would be a problem, but it is I am not guaranteed a space on the school bus and I will have to pay full price. Which means at any time of the year I may not be able to get into school. The School is in the middle of no where so using public transport is not an option.
    I am considering handing in my notice at the end of the summer term and looking for another job at Christmas. If something does not come up I thought I could always do cover work.
    What are peoples thoughts on this?

3. Would you really want to travel to work on a school bus? Sounds horrendous.
    What distance is it? Can't you bike/moped it?

4. Get a car.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

In a similar situation, when the person giving me a lift was no longer able to, I found this was the biggest incentive to learn to drive. Passed my test first time and so never had to travel on the bus! [​IMG]

6. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

Been trying to learn to drive for two year and failed three driving tests.

7. More lessons, maybe a different
    instructor, different car, more tests. (A lot depends on what part you
    failed actually.) I would not hand in my notice for something like this -
    pop over to the Unemployed board to see how hard it is to get a job
    these days. (Unless of course you can afford not to work.)
    How? On foot? If you look at the preliminary questionnaires of supply agencies you'll see that even before you send your cv they ask if you drive and have your own transport. While there are places you can get to on public transport, schools will favour a supply teacher who drives and thus is not at the mercy of public transport. Always supposing, of course, that you can get supply what with CSs... I still think your best bet is to learn to drive. 17-year-olds do it, it's not that difficult.

8. Is that in the sense that no one's guaranteed a space on a bus? If the bus is going and they're happy for you to go on it -paying full price- then I don't see a problem. Unless it has a history of not turning up (as my old school bus had) or being late.

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Firstly, if this is a private hire school bus facility for students alone then the school would be correct to forbid members of staff to make use of it - for all manner of child protection reasons. Secondly, If your complaint is about paying full price, thus not being able to afford it 'at any time of the year' - then seriously - You've got to be kidding me.