1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by gruoch, Feb 26, 2012.

1. I wish you all the best. My advice would also be that, where they are able, you give some of the ringleaders of the 'trouble' something decent to do - or help them devise the piece with a busy part for them. I may be teaching grandma to suck eggs here (and I apologise if I am) but i've done this lots of times and not only does it give them something to focus on but it can turn your classes (and your rapport with them) around. It also makes everyone's lives easier.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Which is exactly why I'd like a go. I'll talk to our transition co-ordinator and see what we can work out.
    I've had impossible drama classes when on supply - to be expected - but this is the first time I've had one as a permanent teacher that I really can't engage with. Or they with me. The two major problems are the lack of space and shared teaching. Their other lesson is in the drama studio, but the HoD is having no more success with them than I am.
    [Whilst I am primarily a teacher of English, I have over 40 years drama experience, and if you teach GCSE you will be teaching elements of the first externally examinable course ever written - by me.]

3. I used to teach a very tough ASDAN group on a Friday afternoon. If I'm honest used to be relieved when the toughest ones never came through the door.
    I once managed to galvanise themagainst an imaginary new "curfew" soon to be imposed by local police. It's a scheme I've done on and off for a while, (can't remember the author) it works with tough kids by allowing you to act as a facilitator on their behalf against a bogeyman external oppressor.
    I went with anti-curfew raps, posters, some basic T in Role improv about meeting the MP