1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP

Discussion in 'Geography' started by Goldopals, Feb 16, 2012.

1. I am teaching Geography for year 8 for the first time and need help. I have a year 8 boy who cannot read at all. I am a bit ashamed to admit that I have no idea what activities to use for him that require absolutely NO reading. He can copy words, but cannot read what he has written.
    Our topics are
    <ol>[*]Maps and scales[*]Direction[*]Coordinates (longitude and latitude)[*]Location of states, important cities and landmarks in Australia[*]Natural features of Australia[*]Climate[*]Population </ol>I would love to differentiate for his needs, but I do not have any help in the classroom for him, and am not even trained in Geography teaching. Any help would be much, much appreciated!

2. Am surprised that if he can not read AT ALL that he does not have TA help, but that's obviously something for the school to sort out.

Personally I would hunt down the schools SENCO/TA and ask their advice.

It is possible to be quite creative with pictures/photographs. Like showing the pupils a photo of something and getting them to interpret it/ask then what they think it shows. However, it would be incredibly difficult to do this every lesson, and I would recommend not to really as everyone does need the opportunity to develop their reading skills!

Perhaps if there are written instructions you could get another pupil to read them out so the pupil who had difficulty reading can hear them verbally too.

Pair work would also be quite useful as his partner could do the reading, but this may only work if his partner is understanding/already aware of the other boys problems. Maybe actually have a word with the person you're thinking of partnering them up with and ask them if they would mind sitting next to the boy. You don't have to say why, but maybe something along the lines of 'would it be OK if I sat you next to so and so?' By default they will then work with them during pair work! However, respect the child's wishes and if they categorically say 'no, I don't want to sit next to him' then don't sit them together or it'll just cause problems.

Good luck. :)