1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by horchsense, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 55 year old male FE lecturer/teacher of 30 years, diagnosed with Hep C in 2008, completing 2nd attempt at 48 weeks of Interferon treatment. Made redundant in July folowing extended sick leave (try teaching on Interferon - actually, don't). Had to let house, life gone down the tubes. Obviously never work again despite 20+ years of experience with high level digital software, Dreamweaver, FCP etc...
    Apologies...suffering from isolation, depression - things nobody wants to talk about. The anonimity of a forum is therapeutic - a bit...
    Feel free to banter with a sick, sad old git...

2. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Chat away, old chap...I'm at home today, and despite its being summer, it's raining and miserable.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If not for others then maybe for yourself? No entrepreneurial opportunities there?

4. Summer? Where in the world..?

5. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

The Antipodes .....

6. Somehow it all seems too much at the moment. Waiting for spring and the end of this bloody treatment. Interferon drains the life force from you. I know things'll look better in sunshine. It's a matter of re-discovering one's confidence, rather had the stuffing knocked out of me over the last few years. Soz...

7. I thought as much - which particular bit? Not that I've ever been further south than Spain...

8. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Haven't a clue what you are going through, but just wanted to make a response. [​IMG]
    There are a lot of great people on here who will help you through and also a lot of people who come on here for the same reason, ie. support for some personal dilemma. There are quite a lot of fruitloops too, feel free to join us!!!!
    Hope all starts to turn round.

9. guinnesspuss

Just replied to you but the post's gone. Oh well. [​IMG]

10. That's good to know - thanks. Things ain't quite so bad, actually - feeling sorry for myself largely 'cos of £1700.00 bill for new boiler in the house I don't live in anymore (for tenant). Smarts a bit...

11. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

North Island, NZ. So sorry to hear about the effects of what must be a very savage medication. Inevitably, I guess, it's going to have a major effect on your whole system, and the foul weather is not going to help. What you have to remember is that you are still just a spring chicken and have a long life still ahead of you. Not only long, but also productive. The trick is to get over the worst of the infection and treatment while keeping a sense of humour. I know from my own bitter experience how important this forum is to help kep your equilibrium and maintain some perspective. Keep on talking!
    Kia Kaha!
    Polly

12. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

You'll get through it. We're with you. xxxxxxxx

13. Thanks. I work hard at self-help, regular gym-bunny - endorphins are wonderful things (whatever they are..) and usually I stay on top. But sometimes it's just one damn thing after another and I begin to wonder how much longer I can keep fighting. Sense of humour - yep a damn good laugh would do me good...tickets for stand-up somewhere pehaps...?

14. whapbapboogy

Do come on here if it does feel like it's getting on top of you- there will always be someone to give you a hug. xxx

15. That's really nice to know....

16. whapbapboogy

Actually, you have to come on here, now, even if you're not feeling so blue! You're part of the gang, now! [​IMG]

17. guinnesspuss

Do join in some of the other threads or even just lurk a while. They will make you laugh a lot sometimes. Have a look on entertainment too, might not be your thing, but there may be something that catches your attention. [​IMG]
    I'm an Englander and so it's off to bed for me. Night, Horch.[​IMG]

18. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Hi Horch. I've had a rotton couple of years too, but I won't go into details. Reading some of the posts from the daft nutters on this website has got me through many a dark hour. Keep posting now you've started or we'll worry about you. xx

19. whapbapboogy

I'm off to bed now, too. Looking forward to talking to you again. xxxx

20. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Hello!
    It strikes me that the Opinion Forum might be worth a look if you're in need of distraction - lots of entertainment on there!
    Also Health and Wellbeing if you want empathy, sympathy etc.. - we all need a bit of that once in a while.
    Hope we manage to while away a bit of time for you and maybe even raise a smile!
    Cheers!