1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lary, Sep 11, 2011.

1. hi, I'm an Italian teacher in primary school. I teach English and ICT. Sometimes I have doubts about english words, phrasal verbs, daily language I use with children. What if I ask for your help, just in case...? If you are teaching Italian I can help you too... thanks a lot! La

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You teach English, but do not know the English words and phrases? Maybe ask your school if you can swap with another teacher and let them teach English and you teach maths?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry but it can't be a real post can it? Who would employ someone who is unsure of English to teach it?

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

lots of teachers are employed to teach Maths with no more than a scraped (often many times taken) C grade in GCSE!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Is that the same as not understanding the language you have been employed specifically to teach? If someone with a basic GCSE Maths was employed solely to teach Maths it might be comparable.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A C at GCSE maths would be enough to teach, presumably booster, maths in primary. Not ideal, but would mean general competence.

I cannot for the life of me, given the huge surplus of primary teachers, see why a school would need to employ someone who cannot speak or write basic English to teach English.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Do you think the poster is in Italy and is teaching English in an Italian school rather than here in the UK? So is asking for help just as a UK teacher might ask a French person for help when teaching French here?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No I didn't think that...possibly should have considered that option though. Apologies if it is the case.

If you are teaching in an Italian school then just ask questions you need as and when..