1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Hthomas88, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I have an interview next week in a year 4 class. They have asked to observe a literacy lesson, that should prepare and stimulate the children to produce a piece of extended writing on the theme of the seaside. I only have 45 minutes for this and the genre for the writing is my choice. I have only ever seen the seaside done in Key Stage One. Does anyone have any ideas for me?
    Thanks

2. singinintherain

singinintherain New commenter

I would as a starter, give them seaside themed words on a PP and give them to memorise them in 2 minutes and then write them down. Ask them if there are any words that they are unfamiliar with (put a few hard ones in there that they won't know to raise literacy).
    You could base a piece of work on a painting/photo of the seaside. Show them the image and do a imagination task (close eyes, you are walking down a sandy beach blah blah blah...) so they are using their minds. Then I would model a piece of writing, like maybe a holiday review or brochure. Teach them the conventions and say that they have to use them to create an extended piece of writing in the same style with an emphasis on something like compound sentences or connectives.

3. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I did a similar lesson with a Year 2 class which was a straight forward creative writing piece of work which could be adapted for a Year 4 class.
    I began with a video clip of the place (it was a deserted beach with cliffs surrounding it) so the children were able to visually see the environment and also hear things such as birds, waves etc. We then created a whole class mind map with all our ideas and the children then spent time writing a description of the setting.
    However, you could perhaps adapt it and use the seaside image as the setting of a story.
    Or the idea of the brochure mixed with persuasive writing is an interesting idea!

4. You need to be very careful about posting ideas on these forums, especially for interview lessons, as other people can take them and use them if they think that is a good idea (and maybe even imporve on them) - there was a story posted on the Jobseekers forum about 3 candidates who turned up and taught the same lesson and none of them got the job.
    It worries me when people ask for ideas on their interview lessons. Your interview lesson needs to be about showing what YOU can do. It is fine to start from someone else's ideas (I usually do tbh) but then you need to adapt them to suit yourself and use strategies or teaching methods that you would usually use or that you are comfortable with.
    Start with a Learning Objective - what do you want the children to learn during the lesson and how are you going to show progress - this is what the interviewers will be looking at, along with your teaching style, behaviour management strategies and whether or not your activity engages and enthuses the pupils. Most people start the wrong way round on interviews and start with a 'wow' activity and try and make a LO fit - you need to work the other way round - start with the LO then make the activity fot that.
    Hth and good luck! Let us know how you get on.

5. Finally a simple common sense no nonsense piece of advice. Its so easy to find stuff on the internet and then use it without really thinking.
    Thank you for restoring my faith in teachers Bobby_Carrot.