1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dav1970, Jun 11, 2011.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi All
    I am starting my dream job as a Year 6 teacher in my local school this September. I'm just finishing my NQT year.
    I've
    been given subject leader responsibility for D & T which is a
    little daunting for my first 'proper' year. So, I'm asking for a little
    advice from experienced D & T leaders. How do I get off to a good
    start? Any suggestions?
    Many Thanks
    D

2. Im not a DT leader but don't worry about being given it. Most schools have subject coordinators for all subjects, and as an NQT they have given you one of the smallest.
    All our DT co-ordinator does is buy resources, collect examples of planning and work every now and then, and is a port of call for any questions.
    Just make sure you know what the national curriculum for DT involves. Its not a subject that people tend to have many issues with and you'll find you dont need to think about it 90% of the time.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Devote your energies to your teaching and settling into a new school.
    Your head will have an idea as to the priorities for your subject and will probably suggest one or two of these when setting targets for performance management. Priorities will vary from school to school, so it's not really possible for anyone on here to suggest what those might be.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our DT co-ordinator does nothing at all. Wouldn't even know she had the job unless you read the staffing list.

Don't fret over it, just organise a day or two of creative DT activities at some point in the year and it will be more than many do.

5. Agree with all the above advice, definitely don't worry! Your class teaching is the most important thing.
    Your subject development plan could say new subject leader in role and tasks for the year something like:
    Familiarise yourself with the stock/tools etc
    Audit each year groups teaching in DT (ie what everyone's doing)
    Ask staff if they're happy / have any problems/ let them know you're happy to help if needed and get the phone number/email of the county advisor just in case anyone has a tricky query!
    (end of year) moderate some children's work (choose a year group to start with)
    Do talk to current DT co-ordinator if possible (if not there should be a file at least with policy etc in, which will give you an overview)
    See if you can get on a practical course (a bit of expertise does wonders for the confidence!)
    Good luck.

6. Oh, and don't be afraid to say 'I don't know, but I'll find out' :)

7. NQT's should not havea a subject to lead but rather shadow a coordinator in order to undertand how to lead.
    Problem is that if school teaches Creative curriculum then the CC coordinator should have it all covered!
    DT is often the forgotton subject in many classes due to increasing pressures on the timetable!

8. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

I won't be an NQT in September. As I said, I'm currently finishing my NQT year.
    Alea, thanks for your lovely advice, registered!
    Thanks
    D