1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by flower16, May 20, 2011.

1. Hi all i have just seen a job advertised that i am intrested in, it says it is temporary to cover secondment. can anyone explain what this may mean?

2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

It means the permanent teacher has been given the chance to work in another role for experience leading to promotion or to cover someone.

3. Hey thanks for the reply do u know how long a secondment period usually last for?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Secondment is when a teacher takes time out of teaching to pursue a further qualifications / travel etc. It is sanctioned by the Head/governors & will be for a set time could be be as little as months or up to a year I think (might be more?) hence the 'temporary' post to cover the absence.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

That is usually called a sabbatical, lara. Secondment means a temporary transfer to another job either within the persons existing school or at another school usually within the same Local Authority.