1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jellybellysmum, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Ofsted are coming next week and I know what im doing for Lit and Num but hadnt really thought about other subjects. The last topic we did in science was materials. Our theme is fantasy worlds based on Pirates. Has anyone got any good ideas please, please please. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. What year group?

3. This really annoys me! What would you be doing if Ofsted were not coming in\? Would it be awful or substandard? are you just going to teach well for the 2 days they are in?

4. Invite your class to help you plan the unit. Think about all the recyclable materials available to you to work with and get really creative 1. Begin with a concept / question/ brainstorm session e.g. "We're going to talk about Fantasy Worlds that Pirates might live in. What do you think a FANTASY World might be Billy?" ( Billy talks while you take notes on large Newsprint so everyone can see) "Great, thanks Billy, what do you think Margie?" (Same again, Margie talks, you take notes. Encourage the kids to listen to each other as an objective). Run this scenario around the class for as long as is pragmatically useful. 2. Art session - Scenes from fantasy worlds. Preceded by a quick review of some of the descriptions/ideas posted on the newsprint which you may have tidied up since the initial session. 3. Pirates!!! What kinds of Pirates might there be? Trad Pirates, Space Pirates, Mind pirates, Sound Pirates, Colour Pirates - The Pirates who one day stole all the music from the world. What would the world be like with no music? Oh no!!! What about the ones who stole the great smells and tastes? Create the machines that they use to steal these things....How do they work?....What about the pirates who swept in from outer space to invade earth not realising they were a hundred times smaller than us and their space ship got eaten by a dog? 4. More art!!! Sculptures from cans, boxes, plastic trays...bags. 5, Discuss writing a play/show/ musical/songs/. a pirate party with pirate food / Pirate pets/robotic parrots/ alien pirates (I remember a pirate who had a pet microwave that sat on his shoulder - it didn't talk much).....Have heaps of fun with this Don't worry about Ofsted.....they need you a hell of a lot more than you need them....ART sessions collages, montages, adhesives, pliabilty, durability of materials......I don't know if any of this has been useful JBM ... Good luck with it.

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

When we did pirates in year 1 we looked at salt water and fresh water - floated an egg! We investigated the best material to build a raft for the pirtaes to take the treasure from the island back to their ship. Then they built the raft from their chosen material. After that they predicted and investigated how much treasure their raft would hold in salt water and how much in fresh water (the treasure was small glass beads!). We also did a bit on magnets - looked at and made compasses and investigated which treasure the pirates could pick up from the sea bed with their 'magnet arm' on the ship!
    For geography we did map work, started off looking at treasure maps and drawing their own treasure maps, we used early essentials turtle and beebot. They made their own large treasure island beebot maps. Then we moved onto co-ordinates and using co-ordinates to place things on a treasure map.
    In art they did bottle prints and colour mixing - shades of blue to make an ocean
    In PSHE we discussed pirate rules and punishments.

6. The mind boggles! Perhaps the OP doesn't place any importance on teaching good quality foundation subject lessons.

7. regencyrob:
    This really annoys me! What would you be doing if Ofsted were not coming in\? Would it be awful or substandard? are you just going to teach well for the 2 days they are in?

The mind boggles! Perhaps the OP doesn't place any importance on teaching good quality foundation subject lessons.

Thanks for the useful advice ...not. For the last term and a half I have been told by management that I had to leave all foundation subjects and teach extra reading and phonics as I have low ability year 2's and they want them to be at least level 2c by the end of the year. I had finished my topic and my student has planned the next science topic so I am basically planning a one off science lesson.

What year group?

Mixed Year 1 and 2

Beauregarde - thanks for the ideas they are really good but I'm not planning a whole unit, it is basically a one off lesson as my student starts teaching the next week and has planned the next topic. We have already covered materials through our Traditional Tales work.

comenius - thanks for that. I was thinking of doing something based on choosing the most suitable material to build a raft or shelter on the island, designing and building the raft or shelter and then testing it.