1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by marzie74, Mar 15, 2011.

1. marzie74

marzie74 New commenter

Please help.
    I am doing the 3 yr undergraduate course with QTS in RE and I am now on my final placement but I am having trouble trying to think of activity for my classes that they will enjoy.

My topics are:
    yr 7 sikhism
    yr 8 easter
    yr 9 prejudice and discrimination/MLK
    yr 10 wealth and poverty in britian.

I was just wondering if you could help because at the moment i feel so bogged under by everything.

Anything would be greatly appriciated.

2. for MLK a documentary about his assassination is on teacher tv but only show the first 5 min, Then it goes into theories on Hoover being gay, I always find stereotyping activities good. Describe a WAG, CHAV etc. try to agree on a definition and use it as a starter for prejudice.

Easter. what are your learning objectives is it a faith school have lots of stuff but would need to know what you are doing.

3. Likewise, can you be rather more specific about your objectives?

4. marzie74

marzie74 New commenter

No it is not a church school, just a regular comprehensive.
    Easter objectives are to cover the topic of easter and look at how it is celebrated why it is celebrated and what christians believe.
    Sikhism is to introduce pupild to the religion and to test knowledge at the end of the topic
    MLK is a mixture of prejudice, discriminatio, stereotypes as well as the life and works of MLK
    Wealth and poverty within britian is part of the AQA exam board and its aims to introduce the pupils to wealth and poverty within this country mainly looking at gambling, homelessness and the religious views.
    Does that help?

5. How about explorng some of the themes of Easter through art? This website may help.
    Re prejudice and discrimination: do you know the TrueTube website? Loads of brilliant videos on a whole range of subjects.
    Re Sikhism - have you seen this Teachers TV programme on Sacrifice and Sikhism?
    Hope these help.

6. Easter can be explored through the film - the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe - direct gosepl parallels or doing internet research lesson looking at the symbolism fond within the gospels and then creating the symbol complete with meaning in art work to make fab display.
    Sikhism - Michael Palin's Himalaya programme has a fab episode on the Golden Temple, can look at the foundation of the khalsa through drama and hot seating, naming ceremony - use a book and choose Sikh names from online site. 5Ks through symbolism
    What year groups are you doing each with? I must confess I find looking at each religion separately a nightmare nowadays as it's very hard to go into any depth or do things in detail to comapre and contrast and reach higher level skills.

7. I would suggest trying a few different t&l strategies to use to get students engaged and which actually require minimum input from you during the lesson.
    If you can get your hands on a book called 'thinking through RE' by Vivian Baumfield it is really good, I would hope you already have the Teachers Toolkit, or at least uni library access to it.
    1. Question Running. (I've used this for intro to life of Suddhatta Gotama, knowing the 10 Gurus and also in English for Macbeth. It is good to quickly build a basic knowledge before you can do more interesting things with topics)
    Students to work in groups of 3 or 4 depending on how much space you have for groups to move around.
    Give students some text (about a full a4 page, more possibly for older students) with key information you want them to learn embedded into it. For (really) low ability groups I usually put in a picture also so it doesn't look too scary.
    You stand at the front with a pile (usually 10 to 15) of questions you want them to know the answer to which includes space for an answer. You need a pile for each group and room on your table to also create an 'answered' pile for each group (remember to make sure you number groups and their questions before starting to avoid squabbling)
    The students are in competition with each other (chocolate based prizes help if you are allowed to give them) to answer all the questions fully and correctly first.
    All the runners come up to get the first question. They return to their group to skim and scan the text for the answer (don't put the questions in order that answers appear in the text - the point is they take in all the info because they keep reading through it). They return the completed question to you and you check it - make sure it is answered fully and correctly - then they can have the next question. You keep going until all the quesions are answered.
    I find even after a group has completed their questions and won that the others keep going, but make sure you have another task lined up for the faster groups.
    Also: Called a runner but they walk. Tell students where to queue to give you completed questions. Make it clear students pushing etc will be disqualified - also another reason to have smple extension task handy. Discuss strategy beforehand eg. If only one in group does reading will you be as quick as all of the group reading different sections at same time? etc.
    2. Picture from memory. I've used this for 5Ks of Sikhism which had pictures and simple explanantions beside them; Christian vs Buddhist arguments about animal rights which had some small cartoony pics and lots of text with coloured key words; Features of a Mosque which had a cross-sectional building labelled and the actual feature and text matched in colour. If you pitch the poster to the class well this is also good for some quick displays to tick off whichever QTS standard talks about the learning environment.
    You have an A3 sheet which has either a picture or text or a mixture of something you want students to learn. Usually these resemble posters in detail and text size (18pt for large volumes of text). Make sure you keep writing either minimal (Ys 7/8 or low ability) or in chunks that appear broken up so students don't become disheartened when they see it. Add colour to the most important bits - I have it all black and white except for key words or features that I want to make sure they notice. A good way of chunking text up is to have different bullet points written in different colours or put different coloured boxes around them. Or set out as a spider-diagram with a pic to illustrate each leg's point.
    Students are to work in groups of 4. On their desks are everything they would need to reproduce your poster - same coloured pens, rulers, rubbers, sharpeners, pencils A4(sketch) and A3 (finished piece) paper etc.
    Students number themselves from 1 to 4. When you call out 1 those students can come up for 30 secs to look at the poster you have before returning to group to reproduce on their blank paper.
    Repeat for 2,3,4. Giving 30 secs back at table in between each one. Give a minute then repeat again, and again. I usually go for 3 times up for each student but have occasionally had to go to a 'bonus round' because I could see they were struggling as I'd put too much on.
    Also: In competition with each other (chocolate prizes again). Handy to have a ppt to explain what they get marks for (bits correctly copied in correct colour, text copied correctly, features labelled/drawn correctly) so can do some peer or self-assessment of their work at end of lesson. Again discuss strategies - who is best at remembering pictures? Text? You have a big sheet to copy - how will you organise selves? Each take a corner etc - remind them to think about what they are still missing after each round. And that any group looking at other groups' work loses marks or shouting/talking from table with poster on or writing while looking at poster or trying to put off others looking at poster etc. Sometimes students cheat and send same student up repeatedly. Good way around this is ready numbered labels for them to wear if you think they'll try this; most don't.
    Generally, I'd also say think about using film. Play film with scene that covers your discrimination or wealth and poverty topics and pause it frequently and for only short bursts and target specific students with prepared open questions. Good way to differentiate watching a film and to keep students on toes/make sure they understanding the link to the wider topic.FilmClub uk (online govt funded filmclub for schools) has good list of films sorted by themes, you don't have to register to view the films they hold. Also for short clips about issues try TRUETUBE.
    Also, I know you may feel overwhelmed (completed my RE PGCE in July) but believe me it's doable and totally worth it. Make sure you take care of yourself (sleep) and use what is already out there - TES resources; and are you a member of NATRE? Got good online resources there.
    GOOD LUCK!

8. Just a suggestion for some general fun stuff that they usually like, which can be applied at any thing. There is a website called 'box of tricks' which has a long list of internet based educational resources. My favourites are 'goanimate4schools' where they can make cartoons. 'glogster' where they make interactive posters using videos, graphics etc. or 'wordle' is an alternative to brain storming.