1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rfaa, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any good ideas for an hour's French lesson with one - possibly 2 Y13 boys who are reasonably able but who lack communication skills, a sense of humour etc etc. Teaching them is getting harder and harder and OFSTED are looming....

Any thoughts very gratefully received!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What type of interestd do the boys have?
    Do you have a syllabus to wotk to or have a completely free hand?

3. We are doing OCR so I have to cover the course - there are usually 3 of tehm but this week 2 are away. Sport is an interest and Business is his choice for University (But not with French)I could carry on and do exam stuff but just wanted something a bit different!

4. Haven't taught this age group for years so not much idea - but can you throw it back to them and get them to prepare some stuff for each other to respond to? Just thinking what inspectors might want to see - get them to do some background on the internet and then work together on it? Something on the weekend's rugby?

5. OOh! that's a good idea - I will have a think about the France /Ireland match
    merci!

6. mpillette

mpillette New commenter

Tried and tested...
    a) Produce a written summary of a film students don't know but do so in bullet form (clear but succint info).
    b) Distribute the bullet info (i.e. each student only has part of the info).
    c) Ask the students to communicate 100% orally to try and piece the plot together. They must improvise orally from the bullets (not produce written sentences for then reading aloud). They must speak in sentences as opposed to reading out the bullet info, but do not over-correct (emphasis on communication).
    d) Ask students to present the plot to you orally. Support this via occasional rephrasing/paraphrasing, by asking questions and by providing additional info about the film (informal listening practice).
    e) This can then lead: to students describing the plot in writing / exploiting the film trailer / exploiting a film extract / reading opinions about the film on the web... The world is your oyster!
    Alternative 1: as above, but students must first try to memorise the info you give them as they are not allowed to look at it once they start talking to each other.
    Alternative 2: produce a full prose summary of the film and use the same approach as for running dictations - except that students must share info 100% in speaking and make no notes: the aim is not to memorise your summary (unless they have superbrains) but to be able to explain the plot as clearly as possible. The aim of the 'no writing' rule is to generate as much speaking as possible.

I hope I have explained all this clearly enough. Have fun!

Martine