1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!

Discussion in 'English' started by Matrixx, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I hope i can find some inspiration from someone here, I work in an independent school and we have inherited a group of students (boys) with very low level of literacy, they find it very difficult to focus and express themselves. At the moment there are some who are working at D/E I would say they have had virtually no exam practice past papers and in may they will sit the English Language AQA. Does anyone have any tips of how I can tackle this in the extra time available as someone not qualified in English how much input could I give, any useful resources available? .In class time they will be focusing mainly on c/wk so there is so much the teacher can do.
    Any suggestions welcome! [​IMG]

2. Hi,
    I hope i can find some inspiration from someone here, I work in an independent school and we have inherited a group of students (boys) with very low level of literacy, they find it very difficult to focus and express themselves. At the moment there are some who are working at D/E I would say they have had virtually no exam practice past papers and in may they will sit the English Language AQA. Does anyone have any tips of how I can tackle this in the extra time available as someone not qualified in English how much input could I give, any useful resources available? .In class time they will be focusing mainly on c/wk so there is so much the teacher can do.
    Any suggestions welcome! [​IMG]

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Um, coursework 20% ... 60% exam.

Check Speaking and Listening grades - useful marks to be gained there and ypu can link it to media/non-fiction texts used for Paper 1 practice.

Are you not their teacher? TA? Teacher with small groups?

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Yes, you can. Note to self: check inbox.