1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by comenius, Dec 27, 2010.

1. comenius

comenius New commenter

When I'm starting to plan a new theme/topic, I write down everything that I could do or want to do.
    Then I find it easier to break the theme into weekly slots and have a mini theme each week, so when I did space I started with rockets (week 1) and everything we did that week was about rockets, week 2 was getting ready to go to space, week 3 was the moon and so on.
    Then I go back to my list of things I want to do and fit them into the appropriate week and then its a case of tweaking to ensure I'm covering all the objectives/key skills and that I'm showing progression through the half term.

2. I'm in Year 1 too and have been planning today. I only plan literacy as there is lots of us in the year group so we all take an area each.
    I use the framework as I find it very useful so I start with our yearly overview that shows me each half term and our theme for that half term. I then fit the framework units in to match the topics, so for the coming half term our topic is fruit salad so we are writing poems on a theme (fruit), recounts (our trip to the shops) and instructions (how to make a fruit salad).
    I then take each unit and use the framework guidance, progression papers and what I know the children need to work on to map out the unit roughly on a learning ladder. So for the poems on a theme unit we are focussing on riddles about fruit and I know the children need work on adjectives and connectives so I have mapped out a day introducing riddles and discussing their features, two days on using connectives in riddles, two days on using adjectives in riddles, a day planning riddles, a day writing riddles, a day improving and redrafting riddles and a day illustrating and sharing our riddles with another class. Every day will involve reading riddles.
    I then plan the unit in detail with exact activities and detail the primary framework objectives that will be worked on throughout the unit. I highlight these as we cover them to ensure a complete coverage throughout the year.
    I find this the easiest way but everybody plans differently. Hope it helps you out a bit.

3. Thank you ever so much for your advice (i've actually seen your planning and think it's fab). I think sometimes I just need a kick up the backside when it comes to actually getting down to do some planning! I think of every obstacle I can to stop me from doing it!

4. And thanks to yoitsjo too for taking the time to respond, it's much appreciated :)