1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Yr1 Literacy in 25 mins for interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon255, May 18, 2011.

1. Hello :)
    I've been teaching in KS2 since I qualified and fancy a move to KS1.
    I have an interview of Friday and have been asked to teach a literacy session in 25mins to a class of Year 1 children. What sort of focus would work in 25 minutes?
    I have had some thoughts but would be really grateful for any ideas as I think I might be being a little to ambitious with what might fit into the time for younger children. I haven't been given a specific focus but it must link to their current topic of castles.

Thank you in advance
    UT

2. Hello :)
    I've been teaching in KS2 since I qualified and fancy a move to KS1.
    I have an interview of Friday and have been asked to teach a literacy session in 25mins to a class of Year 1 children. What sort of focus would work in 25 minutes?
    I have had some thoughts but would be really grateful for any ideas as I think I might be being a little to ambitious with what might fit into the time for younger children. I haven't been given a specific focus but it must link to their current topic of castles.

Thank you in advance
    UT

3. Hi there,
    Not sure if this would be of any help. I did this with my year 2 class at the beginning of september in Literacy based around the topic castles.
    * The castle is having a celebration/ party and need to make sure the castle is looking as clean an beautiful as it can, so they have hired a cleaner. Everyone in the castle is too busy to show the cleaner what to do so they have decided to write a set of instructions down. On carpet brainstorm suitable cleaning words e.g dust, polish etc. What might need to be cleaned? Children write a set of numbered instructions.

You could have words and pictures on cards for the LA to use when writing instructions.

4. Thank you!

5. I'd thought about description of the castle, maybe sharing pictures of different parts of life in a castle or pretending to move through the different parts and imagining sights, sounds, smells emotions etc
    Any ideas really appreciated~!

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

Scholastic have a great activity for the IWB called thru the keyhole. I used it with my year 1's when we did castles.
    http://images.scholastic.co.uk/assets/a/12/47/ce0309-giants-castle-ttk-int-177522.swf
    It's a room in the giant's castle that is blacked out. When you move the keyhole around it lights up different areas of the room and shows key things from the story. While I did this I also had sound effects playing eg loud snores, hen clucking, money clinking. We spent 5 or so minutes on this using partner talk to guess where the room was and explaining why they thought that.
    When you click on the space bar the room gradually lightens until the children can see everything. We then used partner talk to generate adjectives to describe what they would see, hear, smell, feel if they were Jack in that castle. You could either do it verbally and you scribe the adjectives or let the children work in pairs with white boards to write their own adjectives - you could give different pairs different senses and laminated ears, eyes etc to scribe on, then for the last few minutes they could share their adjectives with each other.
    In you planning you could show the next step would be to use the adjectives in sentences. We wrote descriptions for 'Monsters on the Move' estate agents becasue the giant's wife wanted to sell the castle after the giant was killed!!!

7. Thank you comenius, thats just the sort of resource I was looking for!