1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help, year 5 lesson obs on equations.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lhunt2, Mar 24, 2012.

1. I've got an obs this week and I'm really stressed about it. One of my areas of development is to show that the children have made progress by the end of the lesson - my head didn't think I pushed them enough last time. The children range from level 3b to 4a. I asked the deputy head for advice and he said to plan the lesson on something they have never done before so are bound to show progress, he suggested equations. Has anyone got any advice or ideas as I'm panicking already and that means I just go round in circles. Any responses would be appreciated.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Much as I hate to disagree with other people's DHs, I would choose something that is at least in the primary framework at level 4/5. Your 3b children are not really ready for algebra.

If you want to stretch the more able with algebra, then the middle and lower ones could do missing box type questions as a lead in. I think I'd do something more exciting though...

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What would you be teaching if the HT wasn't coming?

4. You could start with shape algebra so square + square + square + square = 28 but with shapes not words and go on to more complicated things from there

5. I'd be teaching halfing and doubling decimals, something they are a bit vague at doing. I guess I'm getting hung up on the DH's advice, and he's not even going to be there. My confidence got a bi of a knock at my last obv, maybe I need to get things into perspective a bit.

6. I like the shape idea though, that's good.