1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help year 3 science - light and shadow

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by 0908law, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Please, please , please can someone help? I have just moved into year 3 and am teaching science - light and shadows. This week I have to cover the objectives:
    > To record and identify a pattern in the observations of the sun.
    > That the sun appears to move across the sky during the day.

The medium term planning says to think about where the sun shines into the classroom and find a way to record the patterns of the sun over two weeks! Here is the problem I have to teach this in a 45 minute lesson!

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you all

2. Please, please , please can someone help? I have just moved into year 3 and am teaching science - light and shadows. This week I have to cover the objectives:
    > To record and identify a pattern in the observations of the sun.
    > That the sun appears to move across the sky during the day.

The medium term planning says to think about where the sun shines into the classroom and find a way to record the patterns of the sun over two weeks! Here is the problem I have to teach this in a 45 minute lesson!

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you all

3. Does your school have Collins virtual experiments?

If so there is an experiment on there about the size of shadows that does demonstrate the sun moving across the sky.

The other thing you can do is find a torch and a globe and show the globe spinning and the sun therefore 'moving' across the sky. You could then use two children to be the sun and the earth demonstrating that as the earth spins the sun goes from one side of the person to the other.

just a couple of ideas!

4. hpblossom

hpblossom New commenter

5. I have never known anyone to teach this in this term due to lack of 'availibility' of the sun! That is assuming you are based in the UK.

Sorry can't be any help as all my work for this is done either during the second half of summer or first half of autumn term.

6. Take a look at this site if you want to make lesson planning much much easier and lessons much more fun! A fantastic range of activities by a team of experienced teachers

www.teacherresources.741.com

(For those of you who think that this should not be posted here - we are only posting in threads that are relevant and in which we deem we could be helping - nothing against the T&C - we are not creating new threads and that is ok by TES. Anyway, the feedback we are receiving from this file is great. It is much cheaper than it will be when it goes into formal publication. Thanks for your time)

7. HRS

HRS

I made sundials in a previous lesson (our topic was the Romans) then throughout the day we recorded the sun's position on our sundials - needs to be on a sunny day. Then looked at our results in the afternoon session and discussed. Also there's a science clip on BBC website which was really helpful xx

8. so wiseowl....why yet another change of name in a couple of days?